Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Supporting Member

Default Looking to see if anyone might have some discontinued Speer .30 cal. bullets?

This is about as off topic as can be but I'm on a quest to help a buddy so here goes .
My pal has a rifle that is real fond of the recently discontinued Speer .30 cal, 180 grain MagTip. Thought I'd see if any a you fellas might have a box or two or even a partial box of em your not gonna use? Not a particularly fantastic bullet IMO but after chasing around some for an accurate load the rifle decided it liked the 180 MagTips best. Something to do with the flat point and ability to seat em out farther in his stubby magazine I'm thinking. At any rate I told him I'd run it by you fellas to see if any were collecting dust on anyone's bullet shelf?
Thanks guys PM me or whatever if ya have any ya wanna part company with .
Old 10-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Don't Grand Slams have the same profile?
Old 10-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Supporting Member

I thought about that one barretcreek, never messed with them but in viewing em online it appears the Grand Slam is a little bit longer and a lot more spendy. I think the Nosler Protected Partition is probably the closest in length but also way spendy for a single father with two kids to buy just to try on a crap shoot (neither are available anyway ).
The real issue is that this rifle has been something of a problem child in the accuracy dept and the difference in accuracy between the 180 MagTip and and the rest of the pack (we've tried a number of em) is the difference between an inch and a half to two and a half inch groups and 3/4 inch groups. Odd too cause in my experience at least the Speer bullets aren't often the one ya think of for an accuracy champ?? "Rifles like what they like" has never been more evident than with this beast. Also, Elk season is just around the corner and we don't want to have to start the accuracy search again, real tough to find projectiles anyway and especially when as odd as it may be the Mag Tip load is down solid . Real frustrating!
On with the quest .
Old 10-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Supporting Member

Doug you might try the Nosler blems from shooter pro shop usually pretty good prices if they have what you want.

Tom
Old 10-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Smile

I looked through my old stuff,found 37 of the 30 cal 180 gr mag tips.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Supporting Member

coyotespotter, I sent ya a PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:19 PM

Default Dang! Thought I had you covered on this one

Went out to my stash because I knew there were two boxes of 30 cal 180gr Speer bullets out there. Turns out they were Hot Core.
Sounds like it's going to be tough finding them. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Supporting Member

Mike I think the Mag-Tips were indeed in Speer's Hot-Cor line up but Some Hot-Cor's are SP's. So all Mag-Tips are Hot-Cor's but not all Hot-Cors are Mag-Tips.....It's late, I think I'm delirious .
I sure thank you for looking. Unfortunately I had some 180 Mag-Tips here we tested but by the time we realized how well my buddy's rifle liked these it was to late to find em on the shelf .
They also made 7MM Mag-Tip's in 160 grainers years back, great heavy bullet in my Brides 7-08. She took an elk and a number of other critters with that load. It's in a Mountain Rifle and it was a great mid range load. Unfortunately they quit making that one too but I have some of those set back for the heavy load in that 7-08.
I know it's just business decisions but it sure seems like a conspiracy when they keep discontinuing components I like making me search for new ones.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:46 PM

Tried to PM you let me know if you received PM. Mike
Old 10-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Default Yeah, these were spitzers, not the actual mag tips

I remember the bullets well. They designed them for the 300 Win Mag and the short magazine. It was to keep the tips from deforming during recoil

Last edited by Mike Casselton; 10-07-2015 at 10:34 AM.