Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-04-2015, 11:59 PM

Default Reloading question

Hi,

I have always tumbled my brass after sizing/decapping and then gone through and picked out the media that gets stuck in primer pockets before installing a new primer. I was at my local reloading store yesterday and the owner suggested I bypass the tumbling at this stage, and continue the process. I use lanolin and alcohol to lube. I have a large volume of .19 badgers to reload and am interested what others do? tumble after resizing/decapping or just load 'em up?

thank you, Neil
Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 AM

I find freshly tumbled brass is a lot "stickier" so I size first then tumble. Probably also depends on the media, I don't know how you could tell the case was completely empty before you try to de-cap and size it if you tumbled it first. Larry
Old 10-05-2015, 12:17 AM

Tumble first which cleans the brass so nothing gritty gets in the dies... If you put tumbled brass in a separator and turn a few times, all the media comes out. Size and clean the primer pockets if you want to with a hand tool. Pretty simple process, but after 40 years of doing this maybe someone else has a better way? Works for me.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 AM

Well, I find the media (walnut shell) is very difficult to remove from the 17 and 20 cal cases. Larry
Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 AM

I essentially never tumble. I first deprime using a Neil Jones decapping tool which eliminates the source of much of the dirt. I brush the inside of the necks with a nylon brush and clean the primer pockets with a carbide tool. I remove any carbon on the outside of the necks using 0000 steel wool. I then full length size(usually with fl bushing die w/o expander) every time using Imperial sizing wax which wipes off easily with a paper towel. If using the expander, I first use the Redding product of ceramic balls mixed with a dry graphite lubricant to lube the inside of the necks before applying the Imperial wax lightly to the outside of the case using you fingers.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 AM

It is interesting to hear your different processes. I will mix up a batch of lube tomorrow and try without the second tumble and see how it goes.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:35 AM

Dental picks help get the media out of the flash holes, and use fine media.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:16 AM

Lizard litter (sold in pet stores) is an excellent tumbling media. It's made from walnut hulls and is the consistency of sand
Old 10-05-2015, 03:41 AM

Default Reloading

I clean before I size FL die will push anything out of the primer hole and makes it fast and easy. I use Imperial Die wax not the sticky kids stuff.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Supporting Member

Default cleaning brass

Straight from the range into the tumbler. For grins last time I loaded some 20VT, I left 5 with nice chunks of walnut wedged into the primer hole. Didn't make a bit of difference, not sure what I was supposed to see. Shot to the same POI.