Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 AM

Looks like it just doesn't matter.......................
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM

I have the very large Dillon Eelctric Tumbler. Years ago, I tumbled some range salvage .308's that were dirty and just recently, I tumbled about 800 dirty/muddy .30M1 carbine cases for the fellows who answered the note about them.
Otherwise, the tumbler remains quiet. I don't use it, but if I need it, it's still here. My brass looks fine.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Supporting Member

I only tumble before reannealing, and do it with primers still in - get lot less stuck media that way. Next I deprime and then clean pockets so I won't be getting primer residue on the annealer. After annealing, I may tumble again depending on what the cases look like.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:35 AM

It looks like I'll just do a second tumble after resizing as usual. I will get some "Lizard Litter" or very fine walnut shell media for the second cleaning and see if I can avoid picking the primer pockets.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
I essentially never tumble. I first deprime using a Neil Jones decapping tool which eliminates the source of much of the dirt. I brush the inside of the necks with a nylon brush and clean the primer pockets with a carbide tool. I remove any carbon on the outside of the necks using 0000 steel wool. I then full length size(usually with fl bushing die w/o expander) every time using Imperial sizing wax which wipes off easily with a paper towel. If using the expander, I first use the Redding product of ceramic balls mixed with a dry graphite lubricant to lube the inside of the necks before applying the Imperial wax lightly to the outside of the case using you fingers.
Except for expanding necks (which I never do) that's exactly my approach. I've never understood the fixation on perfectly clean, shiny brass for every reload cycle. Dies should be cleaned regularly anyway, tumbled brass doesn't change that. I've been reloading for many guns for 25 years, never owned or used a brass cleaning system (tumbler, vibratory, ultrasonic, ...) where did I go off the rails?

Last edited by brians356; 10-07-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM

I got those nasty SS pins and love every time i use them!

I decap then tumble.
I lube and resize then tumble again.
Oh they get so nice and shiny on the inside and judging by the cruddy water i see, the first tumble didnt get it all.

This is a case fired with BP at least 100 times before it gave in.

And of those cleanings "only" the last 30-40 were with SS pins all before that was normal abrasive vibratory tumbling.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:44 PM
Supporting Member

I tumble "after" the brass is resized. That gets rid of any sizing lube. Picking out stuck media or SS pins is just part of the job and can be a PITA BUT, IMHO, just another chance to inspect my brass for defects or problems. Rather find any problems before I start adding primers, powder and bullets.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 AM

Another product i tried on dirty necks is "Cerama Bryte". I got some to clean a cooktop in a Rental, and thought I'd give it a try. Works great! Use a green pad if necessary.

Cerama Bryte contains citric acid. I read up on if it will hurt brass cases, and a few forums beat the topic to death. My conclusion is that it will not hurt then at all.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:03 PM

Reloading and shooting are enjoyable pastimes. So, for some folks, must be tumbling brass. Because the supposed payback, other than "The Joy of Tumbling!" escapes me. Can anyone explain why the brass case needs to be perfectly clean, inside and out?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Default Citric acid.

[quote=NeilA.;22999

Cerama Bryte contains citric acid. I read up on if it will hurt brass cases, and a few forums beat the topic to death. My conclusion is that it will not hurt then at all.[/QUOTE]
I use Citric acid in my sonic cleaner and can't say I'm that impressed with it.
If the solution is too strong, or, if cases are left in too long, it appears to remove zinc from the brass.This is just an opinion based on the appearance of the finished cases.
Ken.