Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 AM

Default rebarreling a CZ 527 .204 Kevlar Varmint?

Hi all,

I started a post about moving to a .17 caliber centerfire a while ago to replace my .17 HMR. That conversation ran it's course but as a result I am convinced that my next rifle will be a .17.

I am not sure what make/model, but I am leaning towards a .17 AH.

My wife allowed me to start a little savings fund (I lovingly and openly call it my embezzlement fund... It's not as bad as it sounds, I can save a $100 a week if I put my mind to it! Haha!)

Well, while going through the gunsafe today, I came across my CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar chambered in .204. I bought this gun used about 2 years ago, with less than a few hundred down the barrel and in mint condition. I have only ffired about 50 down the pipe (factory ammo) and it seems to be a great shooter.

Anyhow, I have zero experience building custom guns or rebarreling existing guns. But I believe my .204 CZ has a .384 bolt face which is based on the .222 Rem Mag. (right?)

If so, being that sized bolt face and short action, couldn't a smithy drop a .17 AH barrel on my rifle?

If so, what other options would I have? Any other suggestions? With the .204 already in the safe (read: money spent and wife has forgiven ), is rebarreling a cheaper option than buying a new rifle? I really have no idea what this project would run.....

thanks in advance for sending me in the right direction,

--Duck911
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Supporting Member

I am sorry to say that you can't drop a AH barrel on it. What I would suggest is a 20 Bobcat or Duster or Tacticle. It uses the .375" bolt face that the 222Mag does. The fact that you can't make an Ackley Hornet on the gun isn't a bad thing, it leaves the door open to another rifle build. As far as rebarreling goes it would run you the cost of a barrel (250) the shipping both was (60) and smithwork(125)
all in all you have about 435$ in the build, but that is a top of line barrel, smith, and fast shipping.

Last edited by ab_bentley; 09-10-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 AM

That's kind of a bummer....!!

It shoots well enough with .204 factory ammo that maybe it'd just be worth working up some handloads and working on accuracy.

I'm set on a .17 so I don't think rebarreling my CZ will be worth it just to make it another flavor of .20 caliber.

I don't think

I DO love my .204's......

thanks Bentley!

--Duck911
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Supporting Member

Yeah no problem, as far as 17's all of the above mentioned can be 17 calibers aswell.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 AM

Thanks... Sounds like I need a few more hours with the search feature here. I have read a little about the .17 tac and it interests me... Not too familiar with the bobcat, or dasher in .17.

Sounds like I still may have some options!

Thanks again,

--Duck911
Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

you sure can make the 527 into a 17 fireball and i'm not so sure cz uses a different extractor on the hornet. i have a hornet extractor and a 223 and they appear to be the same. thats the neat thing about claw extractors as designed by mauser.
you would have to change the clip and maybe the bottom metal, 50/50 shot on the bottom metal working.
call cz and ask them or maybe one of the other guys will chime in that knows for sure.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 AM

Believe that you can get a new bolt for your 527 with a 22 hornet bolt face for about $100 from CZ. Perhaps our friend Al Pencin may step in here and let us know how he's been able to make all of those 17AH from CZ's with a 223 bolt face. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you can get the proper bolt from CZ then send the rifle to Pac Nor and have them intall and chamber the barrel in 17AH. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
you sure can make the 527 into a 17 fireball
That was actually the caliber I inquired about in my 1st post (17 FB). I did not realize that the bolt face dimensions of my .204 worked for a .17 FB and not for a 17 AH. (to that end, is there a bolt face size chart that I could refer to to save us all some time?) .17 FB/MACH IV was actually first on my wish list but I heard so much feedback on the 17 AH that I became interested...

Rockies won in the bottom of the ninth so it's time for bed thanks all for the feedback. I'll do some more reading tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

thanks!!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Ammoguide offers a ReBarrel/ReChambering Guide

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aichamb...?sn=BWZCZZQIpX
Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Supporting Member

Default Hi Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
Believe that you can get a new bolt for your 527 with a 22 hornet bolt face for about $100 from CZ. Perhaps our friend Al Pencin may step in here and let us know how he's been able to make all of those 17AH from CZ's with a 223 bolt face. I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you can get the proper bolt from CZ then send the rifle to Pac Nor and have them intall and chamber the barrel in 17AH. Good luck.
Jim's right about the Hornet Bolt, except it runs about 200 bux. Barrel and chamber from Pac Nor $600 and some change. IMHO, you can't go wrong
regardless of which one you pick.

tx al