Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 01-07-2020, 01:06 PM

I have 3 Lilja barreled rifles. All shoot fantastic, one is a 26" 1/9 chambered in 17 rem with a short freebore. I had a bunch of new brass on hand, plus another 17 rem AR so I stayed with it. If starting with no brass the cheapest would be 17/223. All out performance go 17/204 the brass will probably be more expensive. I know there is a 17/223 die set, not sure about the 17/204. Lightning strikes with the hot 17's on coyote and smaller critters.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Give a look see at Ragged Hole barrels website out of Sparks NV. They have barrels, and one of which is Wilson, which is the barrel Cooper uses. You might just find what you want and they even do the work, if you want.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 PM

My 17 Remington is a L461, a blued, 24" pencil barreled Shilen with 1:10 twist and a Fajen stock. It looks like long barreled H&R P317 Ultra Wildcat. Shoots about 1/2" groups at 100 yds. It will shoot 25gr Vmax, but not quite that well. When I need to replace the barrel, I will go with a 1:9 twist.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydust View Post
I have been owning and shooting .17 Remingtons for 40 years now. Back when I got my first one (an H&R on a Sako L461 action) the only bullets you could find were the 25 grain hollow points from Hornaday and Remington. I had to use a BB gun cleaning kit (did not work very well) as I could not find any .17 caliber rods and brushes. Things are much better now in that regard.

What is not better now sadly is inexpensive .17 Remington brass. I have enough to last me the rest of my life thankfully, but if I were starting over today with a gee-whiz .17 caliber I would just go to a .17-204 and be done with it. Lots more different brass makers out there and it's way cheaper and easier to find too. Plus you can get .17 Remington speeds with a bit less pressure or even top the .17 Rem if you wish. 4500 fps is not hard to obtain when using the 20 grain Vmax. 4300+ when using the 25 grain bullets.

I am a big fan of the .17 Remington to be sure. But if starting over today I would go to a .17-204 and call it good. And good it would be.
Using 204 Brass is a good suggestion especially if you already have a 17Rem in the closet and this would avoid mixing -up components
Old 04-30-2022, 03:34 PM

I bought three brand new Douglas Ultra Rifled 17 Remington barrels for H&R Wildcat rifles from Gun Parts after being tipped off by a friend ~ 1990 for $35 each. I’ve used one up and and the second is going strong. I happened to have a NIB Sako L461 action at the time.

The rifle is in an MPI stock. It shoots under half inch groups with either Remington or Hornady 25 Gr HP bullets. They chrono at north of 4,100.

I have a lot of brass, but if I am coyote hunting use brass made up from 223. It has to be neck turned though. I don’t like losing brass that is hard to replace. When shooting chucks I use factory 17 Rem brass.

I have a CZ 527 American in 204 that is very accurate and plenty of 204 Ruger brass, but doubt I will ever have another rifle in that caliber. Brass is too hard to come by and it can’t be made from anything except 222 Remington Magnum.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05-01-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

i have a pleather of 17's and they all do the same thing, kill. just some are more efficient than others when it comes to powder consumption. remember dead is dead no matter which one you decide to roll your own.
as to barrels lilja and walther make a fine barrel. i just built a 17 remington on a pac-nor 3 groove from the new plant, quality seems to be just like it was before the fire.

good luck with your build