Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2022, 08:50 PM

Well I have purchased an A1 in 222 and have started getting the components together. Can't wait to get a few solid loads worked up. I've had a Leupold Vari-X II 4-12x40 gloss on the shelf for a while and it will now have a home.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:12 PM

Well, speaking of rare, good deals at Cabelas, I picked up an L-46 .222 there a couple of years ago. I guess someone had stolen the the grip cap, and the guy was in the mood to negotiate. Anyway, it was $475 shipped (!), and it had the milled steel trigger guard. I ended up pulling (and setting aside) the original Bofors Steel barrel and rebarreling to a shortened .221 wildcat using a Shilen barrel. Still messing with it, but I made certain I could always put the original barrel back on.

I personally consider the L46, 461, etc. the best fit and finished mass produced bolt actions ever made. I doubt I would ever pay anywhere near a Sako price for any CZ, although I also recently paid $1100 for a minty Brno 465 in .22 Hornet with DST (I'm a sucker for DSTs...and Hornets). It, too, is beautifully fit and finished and butter smooth. Never could warm up to CZs when the Brnos are still available.

And, speaking of well made mini bolt actions and plastic, I also just bought an early Steyr SL half-stock rifle in .222 with DST. It came with the original Steyr rings, bases, and a Kahles scope...probably 26mm; rings and bases are gorgeous. It didn't alter my opinion about the Sako quality, but it shook my faith a bit. I consider it exceedingly well made, fit, and finished, and the spiral hammer-forged finish on the barrel is stunning. Now, for all that plastic. I haven't shot it much yet, but if shoots well, I plan to mill some steel bottom metal for it and either fit a Sako .222 magazine, or just make it a single shot. Even ordered the steel, 1.5"x2"x7" for the bottom metal. Another labor of love.

Has anybody used 26 mm rings on a 1" scope successfully?

TBR
Old 11-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Lightbulb This thread could use some pictures.

Here's a pic of a factory Sako L461 single-shot action........that I built into a sorta "222"..................actually a 17-222.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2022, 09:11 AM

Default Very nice Kevin!

My L-461 is a 17-222 as well.I really love the quality and workmanship of my Sakos.I wish I never sold my L-46 in 218 Bee or the L-461 In 17 Rem
Maybe one day I’ll find a Vixen in .222 Magnum
Matt
Old 11-23-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
Here's a pic of a factory Sako L461 single-shot action........that I built into a sorta "222"..................actually a 17-222.

Kevin
Thanks for the pic. I was hoping you might be able to snap a few pics of how the single shot platform is made and functions. Is it an aluminum or steel trough, or is there some kind of spring loaded devise?
Thanks in advance.
TBR
Old 11-23-2022, 05:56 PM

Default Ted.......

The action has a small (smaller than the standard magazine follower opening) opening, that the factory has filled with a matching steel plate........that is cross-pinned in place.

Since all work was done at the Sako factory.......I can only assume that the modification was done early in the receiver's forging/manufacturing.

Don't have a direct picture, but here's a pic showing the plate's outline in bedding.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Gullette; 11-23-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:16 PM

What quality work. Got to love the small action Sakos.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:51 AM

Many thanks. I assumed it was something like that. The issue with the Steyr SL is the opening for the magazine in the bottom of the receiver is offset to the left, to accommodate rotary magazine feeding into the action from the left. I thought about a spring-loaded plate with a trough, but if I'm going to that much trouble, I may as well just make a magazine box and follower and make it a proper repeater.

Thanks again
Old 11-25-2022, 09:15 AM

Default Completed Sako......

......at work.

Kevin