Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Supporting Member

Default primers

I've always been told, not sure by whom, that the BR4 and 400 were basically the same with the BR's series being more uniform. Personally I don't see any difference in performance in shooting them side by side. I did just get a promo offer from Midsouth where they are waiving the hazmat charge on purchases of 5 or more boxes(1000) and from what I can tell they have all primers in stock.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
Winchester small rifle primers are so good that their standard primer WSR is also their magnum and benchrest primer all in one unit. I bought 14,000 WSR primers 5 years ago. I shoot them mainly in my 22 and 6 PPC benchrest rifles. I also use WSR primers in my .222 and .223 rifles. In my 6x47 Lapua I use WSR primers exclusively. I have Fed 205, Fed 205M, Rem 7 1/2, and some CCI. I have no favorites in primers, they all work with loads that don't push the envelope of going past a node and showing extreme pressure signs. I back off my load and find another node to not be in that extreme pressure. This node and extreme pressure stuff I'm talking about here goes back a hundred years or more before WW 1 in the time of Pope and Mann. We are not genius level they were.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Winchester primers have thin cups....don't forget this issue for any 17!

CCI BR-4's have the ignition characteristics of the 400 primer and the cup thickness of the 450.

Last edited by ackleyman; 04-06-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
The .220 Swift is in the magnum pressure range with some loads in the 53,000 psi range. Not hypo insano pressures of 60,000 psi but at velocities over 4000 fps I would say the Swift is a magnum. Reloading manuals of different makes use Remington 9 1/2M and WLR primers both for Swift loads. The WSR is the same cup design as the WLR primer suggested suggested for 220 Swift loads. PPC loads approach 55,000 psi and WSR primers work just fine, been there do that.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
More of your blather. You shoot WSR primer in a Swift do you? So why even talk about it? What's the swift got to do with anything. A WSR has the same "cup design" as the WLR? Wtf you talking about?.....it's a cup. Why go on and on about this on a post asking about the BR4? Are you drunk? On meds?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 AM

Default Remington 7 1/2, CCI BR, CCI 450, Fed 205, Fed 205M, WSR

All the above primers handle over 50,000 psi loads which are used in short range benchrest shoots for 2 aggs a day, most benchrest group shoots are 50 record shots a day plus sighters, when shooting UNL/HVY where UNL is 10 shot the total moves up to 75 record shots a day plus sighters. I have seen all the primers used in benchrest blow from time to time, usually the environmental condtions have more to do wth primer piercing than the load used.

I will find the the primer comparison articles that I can in Rifle and Handloader magazines. Some might have trouble believing articles by Professionals like Carmichael, Waters, and Sundra if they are the primer authors I find but some also call green/blue and vice versa. We all have choices in reloading components why spear a guy for what they might know and are willing to share. The far majority of the Small Caliber posters here are proper and knowlegable but not all.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 04-07-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM

If you shoot our small caliber high pressure seventeens you would be advise to use the thicker cup primers. Here is a good article form James Calhoon who has the real world experience in this area.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/
Old 04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Administrator

good article about primers and pressure.. go to this site, click on "informative articles" on the left sidebar and then scroll down to where you see the article "Primers and Pressure"

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

Buy the BR4's...you won't be unhappy you did.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Default what about CCI 41's?

i understand they have a thicker cup are a little hotter? how do these fit into the debate? anyone use these?--cam
Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 AM

Default Grdhgkiller and Csterner

I read the Calhoon primer article, good stuff. He included most of the primers we have been talking about. Calhoon's material on primer cup design is what most should know. I like the way he broke primers up into 40,000 and 50,000 psi numbers, good call. Add to Calhoon's info the enviormental effect on load development and you can see why I carry WSR, Rem 7 1/2, and Fed 205 primers to a benchrest shoot. For field shooting it wouldn't hurt to load with 2 different primers and go from there in selecting your primary primer.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited by Stephen Perry; 04-08-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauritz45 View Post
i understand they have a thicker cup are a little hotter? how do these fit into the debate? anyone use these?--cam
as far as I know, the 41's are CCI's mil-spec primer. They have a hard cup, for AR type rifles, but as for actual hardness, I couldn't give you any numbers. Have no idea how "hot" they are either. I bought 1000 to use in my AR's a year or so ago and have had no issues with them. I would assume they are similar to the BR4's and/or 450's.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Question

Quote:
Add......the enviormental effect on load development and you can see why I carry WSR, Rem 7 1/2, and Fed 205 primers to a benchrest shoot.
Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Tell us about this "environmental effect" with primers.