Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2011, 01:12 AM

Default 17-204 makes a long range coyote kill

I thought I would take the 17-204 out this morning . I hate to see it just sitting there in the safe all lonesome , so I pulled out and took it to the range the day before and check a load with some 30 golds and VVN560 power . I shot a three shot group and was impressed with the group they were all touching . Anyway back to the long range shot . I was hunting a new place and had a hard time finding a calling spot, It all looked good, I for a big hill overlooking two large canyons . The wind was very light and the temp was in the upper 30's . I turned the homemade ecaller on canine pup distress and started glassing and noticed a large male coyote just standing on a grassy hill a long way off , 500 to 600 yards . I kept watching him and a smaller coyote , guessing a female came up behind the male coyote . they were not going to come any closer . I decided to move off the hill and work my way closer . When I got to the bottom of the hill I found a some cover along a fence line and started glassing trying to find the the two coyotes they were gone . I decided to try and call and see if they would come on in . The smaller coyote popped up below a ridge and was just sitting , not interested in coming any closer so I deciced just to take a long shot . I put the crosshairs on the coyotes head and took the shot . I did not hear a thump but looked back through the scope and saw it flopping on the ground , it was a long way off and across a big canyon so I did not walk over to the coyote. I am going to go back and take my range finder and range it, I was guessing 300 to 400 yards . I think I hit the coyote low or towards the back. I kept looking through the scope at the coyote until it stopped moving . I know 300 to 400 yards is not that far for some but I was impressed with the performance of the 17-204 after this morning. Thanks for reading ! Mark