Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Supporting Member

So, what are you guy`s getting for a neck length using the .17 Fireball dies????

I`m guessing that you are shortening the dies, seems like a good way to get the forming started before fire forming to a 40degree shoulder...
Old 10-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

With the 22 TCM case necked down to 17, necks are about .165. My guess is they'll change once they have been fireformed. And going to a 40* shoulder will probably make a big difference also.
For necking down, I used the pbike Wildcat dies. Didn't try the 17 Fireball die because of the lower case shaving.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

Mikie,

How bad is the "rounding" at the shoulder with Paul`s dies????

Do you run them into a .17 Fireball die after Paul`s die to "tighten up" the shoulder??

Phil.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:00 AM
Supporting Member

I have not had a lot of time today to play but I did get my neck bushings for 17 caliber. My necks appear to get thicker when I neck down without an expander button in the die. They started out at .0165 and grew to about .0185 after necking down. I turned them to .0150 and they completely cleaned up. Seated a couple 20 grain Z-max bullets. Neck length is about .200''. My neck turning mandrel is too long so I cannot control the length of my turn very well. I don't have a stone to grind carbide so will have to take it to my machinist Monday to be shortened.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:06 AM
Supporting Member

Phil:
I run mine into the 17 Fireball die after the necks are expanded and everything else is done as a final step.
Fireforming will make a big change in the shoulder form.
The previous post pretty much covered it.

I just checked and it looks like the 17 caliber cutter/pilot that I just got for my K&M neck turner is short enough to take care of the TCM case.
One less problem to deal with.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 10-26-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waskawood View Post
I have not had a lot of time today to play but I did get my neck bushings for 17 caliber. My necks appear to get thicker when I neck down without an expander button in the die. They started out at .0165 and grew to about .0185 after necking down. I turned them to .0150 and they completely cleaned up. Seated a couple 20 grain Z-max bullets. Neck length is about .200''. My neck turning mandrel is too long so I cannot control the length of my turn very well. I don't have a stone to grind carbide so will have to take it to my machinist Monday to be shortened.

Doing some recent searches found this . Old posts October 2014 , has anyone had a 17 tcm actually upNrunning ? Or some very similar capacity wise ?. Im in the early stages of a 17 build and would like to use the 223 parent case . Ideally it would be to replace my hmr because of ammo quality etc. But be reloadable. I was thinking of using a 17 rem die shortened / extended shell holder . Wanting a slightly longer neck , but having a 20 grain Vmax doing around 2800-3000 . Im thinking to get some 22tcm brass to start with . Is / has anyone done anything similar ? I realize id have to buy reamer & die reamer too and have a custom die made . Many thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Does anyone know the water capacity of the 17 tcm ? And rough FPS ? Cheers .
Old 08-04-2016, 08:18 PM

Think you are over working the problem some. For a die just make a plug that goes into a .223 die with your proper neck size, one pass will do a 20 and two for a 17, I have to do 4 to get down to a .14. A .223 die has the same body taper as the 22TCM with the base the same size. If you don't go up to a 30 degree shoulder the neck of the TCM brass at .17 will be really short. Take a look at the pictures of brass in the 14TCM bolt gun in the projects rifle thread. A shortened 17 Remington die will have a base and shoulder size far too small. Larry
Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 PM

14TCM brass 5 times fired, inside neck turned not outside, made from LC .223 Brass. Water capoacity of mine is 12.3gr. Larry

Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Question 14 tcm

Larry, that looks like a ridiculously awesome cartridge. It is just about the same case capacity as the 17VHA I have that you helped me so much with.

I'll look around on your posts and see what you ended up with for velocities. As of your last post with photos, you were loading some solids that Reed manufacturers, they are 12.7 grains in weight.

Have you shot many of the heavier leaf core soft point bullets of about 16 grains?

The 22TCM seems to be a great parent design. If you are going all out for accuracy and forming from .223 Rem or 5.56x45mm, then perhaps the .221 Lapa brass might provide more potential case consistency and durability. (Maybe not more durable than 5.56x45mm LC brass).