Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Default Lee collet die question

Will a Lee 22 Hornet collet die work with a 22 K-Hornet?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Supporting Member

As I remember, it won't. However, if you can find a 22PPC collet die, it works for that caliber plus 22 K-Hornet and 221FB. I may be wrong since I'm at work & don't have the dies in front.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 PM

When I had a 243 AI and 257 AI, I used Lee collet dies for the 243 Winchester and 257 Roberts, respectively. I would think it should work fine.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
Will a Lee 22 Hornet collet die work with a 22 K-Hornet?
NO! But, if you send it to Lee with a couple fireformed K Cases they will modify it for a nominal fee. Once modified it will do both standard & K cases. The problem is the K neck is shorter than the standard neck, so unless modified the collet hits the shoulder on the K. If modified, on regular Hornet cases it will just size a slightly shorter section of the neck.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 PM

Old Hawkeye is correct. I tried and it crushed the shoulder. I had Lee make me a custom collet die for my K-hornet, works great. One thing to note though. Make sure you send them the brass you will be using since the different makes of Hornet brass are not all the same thickness. They custom make the die to size the brass you send them so if you send them thick brass and decide to use thin like Remington you may not get enough sizing. If you don't know what you will be using I suggest you send them the thinest brass you have, since you can adjust the die a little bit.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:58 PM

Could you shim up the part that raises the collet part so that it does not size so far down? Seems I did this on a factory crimp die for some special thing I did years ago. Larry
Old 10-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Supporting Member

Default collet mod for K Hornet....

I put a drill rod into the top of the inner sleeve collet to give solidity (sleeve is removed from outer die body at this point). Locked this 4 leaf collet in the lathe chuck [4 or 6 jaw] with drill rod spacer inside chuck, and then drilled into the lower/other collet opening to give clearance deeper into the sleeve to allow more of the longer K case clearance. Drilling bit is held in tailstock chuck. I believe I used a drill just over the case body diameter.
You can still size standard Hornet necks plenty of length but will not size all the neck as in the standard/collet die.

I think the sleeve insert between the shell holder would work also.....just have to think it through a bit to be sure. It can be a slide fit around the case body and rest on top of the shell holder. Height of the washer shaped sleeve would depend on how much neck of the K case you want to resize, AND prevent sizing any of the longer K shoulder and body.
I size most necks only enough to hold however much bullet shank I insert into the neck, some times only half a bullet diameter.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 10-21-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Could you shim up the part that raises the collet part so that it does not size so far down? Seems I did this on a factory crimp die for some special thing I did years ago. Larry
You might be able to put a washer or some type of spacer on top of your shell holder so you engage the crimp sooner thus only sizing the part you want. The hard part with the Hornet is its long shoulder.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:01 AM

Thanks for everyone's responses. Have alot of dies but no experience with the Lee collet dies. Have spent some time on the Lee website this evening searching for info on how to partially size the case neck using a collet die. As has been suggested, I did find the following info ref. placing a washer on top of the shell holder to close the collet before the case is fully in the die.

http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...ith-collet-die

Believe I will order a 22 hornet collet die and experiment with the washer approach before possibly sending the die to Lee for modification if necessary.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Supporting Member

Default but.....

I'm not sure it will still deprime with that method. If shimming a small change for less neck sizing on a 'same' case it might still deprime. If a THICK washer is used to prevent crushing the much longer body of the K hornet case it might not deprime. Could be done in a separate operation I guess.
You are actually using two different carttridges when using a die for a 22 Hornet, and a 22 K Hornet. I thinking if you use a shim thick enough to miss the K case's much higher [longer] body and shoulder you will not reach the used primer with the end of the decap pin on the end of the mandrel sizing rod.

If you buy a 22 Hornet Collet die, it CAN be altered [drilled out for body/shoulder clearance] to size both K and standard hornet cases.
Might call LEE and ask if they will make you a K Hornet die and ship it to eliminate the need for drilling out.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 10-22-2014 at 01:58 AM.