Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
Seemed like all of a sudden I was getting fliers and I mean fliers.
Yup... same here

Old 10-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up Works for me

Have used up 10 lbs of LilGun in (3) 22 hornets, (1) k hornet, (1) 17AH, (1) Ruger#1 218B and (1) 19 Calhoon (against Jim Leahy's advice). Feel blessed to have 17 lbs left and probably won't have to hunt any more down. Have used all the different manufacturers brass in the Hornet variations put prefer Rem brass for the extra capacity. Once I have done load development and am satisfied with the holes in the paper, from then on, most of the rounds are on p-dogs. I am obviously a happy LilGun user. Jim
Old 10-23-2014, 03:43 AM

I have been reading the above posts with much interest. Some years ago, I bought a 527 Hornet and started loading Lil Gun. I have only fired some 300 rounds thru the gun but have never experienced any lack of accuracy on targets, sage rats and rockchucks.

I am only wondering how bullets of the same make with the same loads, can have some that keyhole and others that land on the target point first. Not trying to be a smart A$$, but can someone fill me in on this question.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenard View Post
I am only wondering how bullets of the same make with the same loads, can have some that keyhole and others that land on the target point first. Not trying to be a smart A$$, but can someone fill me in on this question.
If you mean my first target, it may look like a keyhole impact but was actually 4 shots into one hole with vertical stringing... the centre bit fell away, the target paper was unsupported by that area of the backing board and so the holes were a bit indistinct.

Meant to show the fliers... none of my LG loads keyholed.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 AM

No, I was referring to Kennys post. When I read it, the first thought that came into my mind was smaller than normal bullets or a dirty barrel. Both were discounted by Kenny reloading the cases with new powder and his explanation of cleaning the barrel.

I am just very curious what could be causing 5" groups with some going into the target sideways.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:29 AM

Ah OK thanks for clarifying

Yeah that sort of performance would not be out of place in an old abused .303 SMLE with a rusted bore... shooting vintage MK VII ball surplus.

Unless it has something to do with the LG powder clumping together and solidifying as Chuck mentioned. Not something I experienced, but it is the ONLY powder I've ever used that softens paint or frosts clear powder measure hopper bins
Old 10-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

Default lilgun

Im using the starting load of lilgun and 35gr.v-max its the most accurate load Ive ever shot in my Hornet, I mean 1hole 3shot groups! And they say with that load its only around 22,000psi Im happy!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:51 AM

I'm always on the fence. The story's of lilguns extreme accuracy and ultra high velocity compared to everything else makes me want to buy 10 lbs. Then I hear of extreme pressure, temp sensitivity, and blown accuracy and I take a step back. No free lunch in this world?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDakota View Post
Have used up 10 lbs of LilGun in (3) 22 hornets, (1) k hornet, (1) 17AH, (1) Ruger#1 218B and (1) 19 Calhoon (against Jim Leahy's advice). Feel blessed to have 17 lbs left and probably won't have to hunt any more down. Have used all the different manufacturers brass in the Hornet variations put prefer Rem brass for the extra capacity. Once I have done load development and am satisfied with the holes in the paper, from then on, most of the rounds are on p-dogs. I am obviously a happy LilGun user. Jim
I am with you and Daryl. We may be rare but I really like Lil'Gun. Have used it in a couple dozen Hornets, 3 218 Bees, two 221 FBs and now the 17 HH. I have shot literally tens of thousand of rounds with Lil'Gun at gophers.

It does stick to plastic hoppers and will discolour them if you leave it in there but I have never had any problems with consistency, or old loaded ammo or powder I have stored for a couple of years. It fills a 22 H WW case so never had to worry about overloads either and both my Lyman 55s and Dillon 550 throw it spot on.

To each his own, just means easier for me to find it when I need it.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Never used this powder. Sure have read some alarming stories about it, however. Sounds like some REAL GOOD stuff!

Before you remind me: I know there are guys who love it and have only great things to say about it.......
I have some, have used it and haven't run into any problems.

BUT, I know these anecdotes aren't pulled out of thin air and always wonder if the next round will be where the trouble starts.

So I think I'll shoot what I have up and move onto something else next time.