Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Supporting Member

Default It's Time for a 17FB !

OK Manufacturers ! It's time to market a 17fireball rifle ! At a reasonable price !!!

Sorry everybody ! But it's time someone says something ! There is a terrible void in the market and it needs to be filled !

Now I will go back to my man cave and sulk.

I won't even bring up the .22 LR ammo shortage !

Jim
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 AM

Default Shortage?

No 22 RF ammo shortage over here Jim.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM

As devoted as "17" shooters are there, unfortunately, are just not enough of you to justify a production run in the opinion of the bean counters that run the gun business. Your best hope for a factory gun would be a recognition of a pent up demand that could spark a "special run." CZ has not made the 221 Fireball for several years, but rumor is they with offer some in 2015. They will probably fly off the shelves as people will think it's their last chance. Pretty smart marketing strategy!! Something similar with the 17 may happen. If not, then it's R.I.P. for the 17 Rem & 17 Fireball, with the 17 HH in their wake.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 PM

My only question is about .17 fireball being a throat burner, that and that the number one most raved about cartridge here is .20 Vartarg. Choices, choices, or lack thereof since the big boys aren't currently making a rifle chambered for either one.

The other thing is that .17 HH kind of almost has that niche nailed. The Fireball might be faster, but 3600fps for the HH in that compact package is pretty snappy.

Last edited by bridgeport; 10-23-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM

After watching the nightmare brass problem I have stayed away from the FB. He has sent over 100 cases back to Remington and the numbers continue to grow. At a buck a pop, brass losses are a pain . I have seen no flash home, necks split from the factory and necks that come off the brass on the first firing.

His rifle is a 700 and extremely accurate. If the brass was not such a problem, I would own one.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN I will put my CZ527 17 Fireball American Varmint model up for sale as I'm a 20 caliber addict and am not using the 17 F/B. I got the rifle 2 years ago in a trade with another forum member and have only shot it ONCE since getting it. It is very accurate, but my problem is that it's just another caliber I have to gear up for...and Lord only knows I already have that problem!! Many of you here can probably relate to my dilemma. It was chambered for 17 Fireball by Bob Green. There is also 477 rounds (420 loaded and 57 fired cartridges) and a like new RCBS 3 die set that came with it. What to do...what to do...what to do. Someone help me out here PLEASE!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Gunner, I think you are on the right track. I much prefer the 20 calibers because I can use FL LC brass and it is much better brass.

I went thru hell with the 204 brass that had run out and had to cull over 25% of it. My 20 TAC using LC brass has shot so well and does not have problems similar to the Winchester 204 brass.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 PM

Default What twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae35gunner View Post
It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN I will put my CZ527 17 Fireball American Varmint model up for sale as I'm a 20 caliber addict and am not using the 17 F/B. I got the rifle 2 years ago in a trade with another forum member and have only shot it ONCE since getting it. It is very accurate, but my problem is that it's just another caliber I have to gear up for...and Lord only knows I already have that problem!! Many of you here can probably relate to my dilemma. It was chambered for 17 Fireball by Bob Green. There is also 477 rounds (420 loaded and 57 fired cartridges) and a like new RCBS 3 die set that came with it. What to do...what to do...what to do. Someone help me out here PLEASE!!!

What twist and what barrel length & contour is the 17 fireball you had Bob green build?
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Supporting Member

I bought a left hand SPS heavy varmint barrel and a right hand LVSSF when they were easy to come by. Both are great shooting guns and have killed a pile of gophers. I bought 2000 brass of one lot when I got the first gun and I have never had any of the commonly talked about issues with it. I have a couple thousand 221 Rem and have never had issues with it either. Recent article in Benchrest mag rated Rem just behind Lapua for brass and well ahead of Federal, Norma etc. though I don't doubt for a second the experiences recounted on here. I think I have just be VERY lucky.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Default Cz vt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
As devoted as "17" shooters are there, unfortunately, are just not enough of you to justify a production run in the opinion of the bean counters that run the gun business. Your best hope for a factory gun would be a recognition of a pent up demand that could spark a "special run." CZ has not made the 221 Fireball for several years, but rumor is they with offer some in 2015. They will probably fly off the shelves as people will think it's their last chance. Pretty smart marketing strategy!! Something similar with the 17 may happen. If not, then it's R.I.P. for the 17 Rem & 17 Fireball, with the 17 HH in their wake.
Couple years ago, I think it was member Tou who tried to get CZ to do a limited run of 20 Vartargs.....came to nothing.
Ken.