Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 TCM reamer?

Has anyone ordered a reamer for a 17 based on the TCM yet? I have necked one case down and seated a bullet to see if my dies would do what was needed, and have tried that cartridge in a couple of my single shot cone breech bolt guns. It seems like in my rifles it will do just fine with the combination of the cone breech and a 30 degree shoulder. I like the idea of the case with no other changes than necked down to 17 with a 30 degree shoulder. If the cases are consistent enough I would prefer to do a minimum spec reamer with a no-turn neck, and the throat/leade/freebore set up so that the base of a 20 grain v-max can use most of the neck without sticking into the case.

Anyone else looking for something similar? I am thinking if enough folks are looking for the same thing we might be able to get a deal set up with a die manufacturer, although my main interest is getting a full length or body die rather than a full die set.

Drew
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Supporting Member

Drew:
My thinking is on the same line. Necked down to 17, run into a 17 whatever die to make sure the shoulders havn't bowed out, seat a bullet of your choice to the shoulder neck junction, make a dummy round and send it off. "ZERO" freebore.
First shot will fireform the brass shoulder to whatever.

Dies might be another problem. Dies are usually a little smaller than the reamer??? That's where I'am not too sure. Still thinking all the aspects of the build.
Issues making "smooth" brass. If you could make it in one pass "after" you necked down to 17, you would be on a roll.
Myself and others have had problems with the lower part of the case just above the extractor groove getting shaved.
If you could get a die of the the proper size, that didn't bother the lower case body, you'de be good to go.

Mike
Old 10-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Supporting Member

I am using a 20SCC die that I shortened. Once shortened it is within .001'' of the outside dimensions of the 22TCM. I didn't have all the bushings to take it down to 17 so I have only been able to get it to 20 caliber for now. I am hoping my bushings are here tomorrow. The 20SCC does have a 40 degree shoulder, which is why I tried it.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Supporting Member

Waskawood
Would be interested to see how that feeds in comparison to a 30 degree shoulder.
Drew
Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

Feeding as in chambering or from a magazine? My action is a single shot so I am not concerned with it feeding from a magazine. Hopefully we will get a reamer ordered next week and start the waiting game all over again. The good news is we can get a few rounds fireformed and see if we are going to need to make a custom sizing die.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Supporting Member

I can't see any way of that feeding from any magazine rifle I have. I was interested in feeding in a single shot. Just worried that the case will hit the cone and want to stop where with the 30 degree it's like 2 ramps coming together. May have to exchange some brass with you.

Drew
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 PM

I know the Boomer owners have been successful in feeding single shot. I don't see it being a problem with a coned bolt. We're going for a 40deg shoulder with a tad longer neck than the stock brass has.

If my little 17VHA feeds like butter, don't know why this one won't, although the VHA is longer, being smaller in diameter counteracts the lenght advantage, IMO. I'm pretty excited to see how this one turns out. Going with a Havercamp this time, have wanted to try one for awhile.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:23 AM
Supporting Member

Default brass neck thickness?

what are others seeing for neck thickness ? With a caliper I am seeing 16-17 thousandths but haven't hauled out the neck Mike yet.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Supporting Member

It was mentioned that the Sinclair Expander die needs to be shortened. That's a fact! Can't reach the short case. I just tried.
What I did was run the necked down case neck into a 17 Fireball die to get the neck to a true 17. The expander ball did the trick but I'd prefer a sizing mandrel. I'll be shortening the expander die body.
My neck thickness measurements are coming out between .017 to .021.
Looks like neck turning is in order OR, build a dummy round, loaded with the bullet of your choice, measure the OD of the loaded case neck and have a reamer cut to those specs with maybe .002 clearence over the biggest meeasurement.
If you're into neck turning, go for it, but it sure would be nice to load up and go shooting. Less time messing with brass=more trigger time.

I built a dummy round for my 20 VT. Had neck thickness all over the place, depending on which brass I used. Settled on a .234 neck reamer and never looked back. Load and go!

I had this thing against neck turning. Couldn't pay me to turn neck.
Got the bug, picked up the tools needed to turn neck and found out it wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be. Now I kinda like it.
Kinda like getting hooked up with an ugly girl. She just might end up being the love of your life that can "Rock Your World".
Old 10-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads-up Mikie. It appears my expander die will work, but the mandrel on my PMA tool needs to be ground shorter. I sure wish I had a machine shop close by!! I am hopeful my neck bushings will show today, but if I cannot neck turn I am still in hurry up and wait mode.