Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 AM

One of the reasons why i never short stroke or pull the rod backwards i push through and take of the jag and pull the carbon fibre rod backwards and out.
Wally

Hope the shooter and the jag are ok.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Default lucky man

Soo close to the eye, wow. sgtg out
Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Blow-up after leaving jag in

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
One of the reasons why i never short stroke or pull the rod backwards i push through and take of the jag and pull the carbon fibre rod backwards and out.
Wally

Hope the shooter and the jag are ok.
Various steps can be taken to work safe, but the bottom line is keep your eyes open and be observant. Bill K
Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member

another reason for a denny phllips cleaning rod with integral jag

ML
Old 10-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Supporting Member

Ouch. Happy to hear he is ok. Mom has always told me "The good Lord looks after children and fools" maybe she was trying tell me something.

If you want see some additional carnage follow the ar15.com link above then the photobucket link for the photo. $$$$ and probably not just to the gunshops.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:15 AM

In the link to FB it says nothing about caliber, where did that come from?
Is there some pics of the rifle?

What waves my BS flag is that the 17 VHA is comparable to a 17 Hornet thus only capable of holding @12-13grains of powder. Given a fictive energy content of 4200joule/gram and 13 grains=0.84gram thus the "bomb" can contain no more than @3530joule.
Dynamite has 7500joule/gram so the explosion is compareable to a smidgen more than ½gram~7.7grains of dynamite.

I cant see a veapon that can shoot a 300WM suddenly decompose that violently by sonething this small.

But then again facts tend to destroy a perfectly good thread.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenthief View Post
In the link to FB it says nothing about caliber, where did that come from?
Is there some pics of the rifle?

What waves my BS flag is that the 17 VHA is comparable to a 17 Hornet thus only capable of holding @12-13grains of powder. Given a fictive energy content of 4200joule/gram and 13 grains=0.84gram thus the "bomb" can contain no more than @3530joule.
Dynamite has 7500joule/gram so the explosion is compareable to a smidgen more than ½gram~7.7grains of dynamite.

I cant see a veapon that can shoot a 300WM suddenly decompose that violently by sonething this small.

But then again facts tend to destroy a perfectly good thread.
10grs of powder is a HEAVY 17VHA load, normal is about 9grs with the faster powders that work the best. Mine is a Rem 700, not an Encore/Contender expert, but I find it hard to believe that a jag towards the end of the barrel caused this much damage. Wouldn't be much different than a piece of tape over the end..

Now if it was wedged in the bore, just ahead of the chamber...maybe...but I seriously doubt my 700 would come apart like that.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:50 PM

The picture in the AR15 thread showed an example TC that was blown up. It was a 300 Win Mag that was damaged to that degree, not the 17 VHA.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Default Blow-up pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
The picture in the AR15 thread showed an example TC that was blown up. It was a 300 Win Mag that was damaged to that degree, not the 17 VHA.
I see that photo, and it is marked 300 Win. And that is a Encore, not a contender, by the way. I would like to actually see a photo of the rifle and the 17 VHA blow-up they are talking about. Bill K
Old 04-24-2016, 05:45 PM

Default Fine

Look, guys, the jag was in the bore, yep, it was a 17VHA. The load was 9.0gr Alliant 300MP with a 20gr .172" hp.

The photo of the exploded T.C. is not mine, that was a 300WM. The only thing that happened was the barrel was ruined, and I became well acquainted with a very good plastic surgeon, and the total bill was zero for me, except for a round trip shipping fee for barrel work. I did not even have a headache, though my hat was ruined.

So, the shooter, myself, is just fine, no hearing loss, not visibly scared, and as lucky as ever, as is the rifle, even the scope was fine. The TC involved is a switch barrel set up allowing swapping a barrel without removal of the scope, so, I just asked for another barrel, and I was good to go after it was chambered.

The carbine shoots just beautifully, much better than I ever expected. The two barrels are matched very well for essentially the same zero without messing with the scope much. Two piece cleaning rods are now a thing of the past.

The carbine was to be a squirrel rifle, but turned into a rifle with much more effective range thanks to the barrel in the bottom of the image set at 18.75". It can hit coke cans all day long at 450 yards using the 17gr HNDY VMAX with 9.8gr of Alliant 300MP at about 3900fps, or the 30gr Kindle Golds with their high BC and a muzzle velocity of 2910fps pushed by 9.7gr of H4198. The case capacity is 12.75gr H2O, which is higher than the standard 17VHA that maintains the original 4.6x30mm shoulder angle. Mine is a minimum taper case with a 40° shoulder giving about 0.25gr more H2O capacity than the standard shoulder.

The thin composite barrel is 16.125" never gets fed full power ammunition, just reduced loads for quiet squirrel, or rabbit hunting. It typically groups like this:

Thanks for your comments wishing that the shooter was okay. I will say this, that was the first and last time I have ever cleaned a bore without checking it out to see if it was clear afterwards.

Last edited by 17tbs; 04-24-2016 at 06:15 PM.