Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-23-2023, 11:11 PM

Default 20vt

I’ve owned several 20 VTs, all made with .234 neck. I use new Rem 221 FB brass that I form and load and shoot. I’ve never turned a neck.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:28 PM

Maybe I'm confused here, but when the O.P. said he makes up 20VT brass I assumed he meant from LC223.
If you just neck down Rem 221 fireball a .232 nk chamber is all you need.
Lapua I would go .235 and have the .200 line .002 bigger than a reamer set up for Rem 221 FB brass to avoid clickers.
Theres a big difference to making 20VT brass from LC 223 than just simply necking down 221 brass
Old 03-23-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
When I make up brass for my two 20 VT's, I usually make up around 800 rounds or so.

I'm tired of neck turning.

Is it possible for a gunsmith to use a no turn neck reamer in 20 VT where I no longer have to neck turn all the brass or would it have to be re-chambered completely? This barrel has a lot of life left in it and I don't want to replace it.
I would guess you are forming from LC/Military brass, with 800 at a time, right?
If so neck turning is about 100 % needed.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Had issues with Remington .221 Fireball brass (new or fired) being formed to the 20 VT and the necks being all over the place. Got a custom .234 neck reamer and solved the neck turning problems. I think PT&G makes a "neck reamer" (not a chamber reamer) to the specs YOU might want? Won't cost anything to ask.
Loads your formed brass, measure the necks and go from there.
I'll call them this morning and check. The way PT&G does business, I should have it in 6 to 8 months if it's in stock.

Thanks, I didn't know about neck reamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972norton View Post
I turned the necks for a 17 Mach IV tight chamber for more years than I care to look back upon, so I feel your pain. Mine was mandatory, so I kept at it and learned along the way. Still painful !

I used a K & M neck turning tool. In your case, if you have a rifle with a SAMMI chamber, buy a K&M expander for 20 cal. This will expand the neck to simiulate a 20 cal loaded round It fits into a standard reloading press. FL your brass first (always a mandatory for concentric brass), then pass the expander into the neck with a little lube so as not to stretch the brass. The K&M turning tool has an available mandrel for 20 cal. The SAMMI clearance for necks is 0.003 thou.

Mic the brass neck on the mandrel You need to be at SAMMI O.D. + 0.003" This gives you 0.0015" on each side for expansion. Deburr mouth and add to your tumbler

If you are over SAMMI O.D. plus 0.003" then you need to turn.

I necked down and turned 17 Mach IV from Rem 221 FB because there was no other brass available and I cussed every case.

I also have a 20 VT with a SAMMI chamber and neck down from Norma 221 FB brass. I check O.D. loaded and not an issue. I use a Hornady 20 VT with the sliding sleeve seater. Wonderful. Remember to size down (reform) 80-85% in your FL die, then rotate brass 180 degrees and finish the reform

Dealing with Rem 221 FB brass is false economy Load and shoot and maybe don't need to turn necks. Load one up first and check SAMMI You might be surprised
This is good information. I do use a mandrel and neck turning tools from Century 21 when forming. I'll check out my steps compared to what you mentioned here and see how close I'm doing to what you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I’ve owned several 20 VTs, all made with .234 neck. I use new Rem 221 FB brass that I form and load and shoot. I’ve never turned a neck.
I do have a .234 neck. When I first started loading for the VT several years ago, I only used 221 FB brass and still had to turn necks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I would guess you are forming from LC/Military brass, with 800 at a time, right?
If so neck turning is about 100 % needed.
After really getting into the VT, I went away from the 221 Fireball brass and went to the LC brass. I also have several thousand rounds of once fired Peterson brass.

After I turn whatever brass I'm using, it always chambers and fires with no issues. I'm just tired of turning necks.

Thanks to everyone here. This has been helpful.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:43 PM

Default Manson Neck Reamer

Dave Manson makes neck reamers to your requested dimensions that incorporates a stop at the shoulder of the existing chamber.