Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-19-2022, 09:12 PM

Default Volume loading for small calibers?

Hi folks
Seems I spend untold hours loading ammo for squirrels and dogs. I do enjoy reloading and I'm retired with time but it gets a bit monotonous loading thousands for 5 cartridges.
So...does anyone have experience using a Dillon for 20cal like VT, TAC's etc?
I have an old 450.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:29 AM

I had use of a 450 years ago, wish I had bought it. I used it as a progressive single stage.

I load a fair amount for a half dozen different 17’s,20’s and 22’s. To get the end results I desire I have not had any luck with a full progressive press. I have my old rock chucker and my coax press.

I prefer a pretty full case. When a progressive turns and hits the detent ball, it flips powder out.
YMMV
Old 11-20-2022, 11:51 AM

Have a buddy who loads 223 on a Dillion for squirrels, but that is all he shoots, follows KISS. He won't venture off into other calibers, and is satisfied with accuracy.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:55 AM

I am loading .22 Hornet right now on my 550 and also use it for .17 Ackley Hornet and .218 Mashburn bee. It works great as you can control all aspects of the loading as you manually advance it. With these smaller calibers I also run it using my RCBS chargemaster to dispense powder pausing on the upstroke. The real small stuff (.17 AH) is very sensitive to slight powder changes so I still use the Chargemaster.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:14 PM

I used to have a Dillion press for .40 cal & 9mm. I shot a lot of pistol back when I was working. There was always some minor problem I had to deal with, weak spring, broken part, etc. Dillon was always there and ready to help out. However when I retired, I got away from the Dillon since I no longer needed it for mass production.

At the same time I had the Dillon, I was also reloading for .223 and a friends 7 mm. I used a RockChucker that is still in use today. My main two rounds I load for now are the .223 and .20 VT. Mostly the 20 VT.

As everyone knows, it takes several steps when making new VT brass. I do all of the new brass work in steps in lots of 250 to 500. All of the sizing is done, all the neck trimming, etc.

On the fired VT brass, again I do it all in stages, sizing, neck trimming if needed, etc.

I don't do all of it at once and will take a break whenever I want. By doing it this way, I never get my brass mixed up with others and I can inspect the brass much easier than if I was using a progressive machine.

Just before I start the reloading process on either new brass or fired brass, I have a 3x5 card with all the steps written on it. The steps are in order and the card is placed in the bend with the brass I'm currently working on. This way if I stop for a week or so, when I come back I know where to start up again and there's no confusion. My mass reloading usually starts around March getting ready for PD season. I do all of my load testing before hand so when it's time for mass loading, I'm ready to go.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:42 PM

Default Volume reloading

Thanks again folks for the feedback! Well I have yet to talk with some one who truly progressive reloads our smaller than 223 cartridges. Seems the auto powder drop is the biggest obstacle. I may still set it up and use it manually after annealing and trimming. Then decide how to manually throw powder. It still should save a bunch of handling time. It will be kinda like a turret press I guess. I wont even try the 17's
Old 11-20-2022, 09:17 PM
Supporting Member

I was hoping G.W. would see this. Gary has done a "lot" of small calibers using the Hornady Progressive. I'm pretty sure he's even done the 17 Squirrel and bigger. He used to post a lot about using it. Do some searching on here.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:48 AM

The Hornady progressives are what I use, traded my dillons off, except my SDB’s for pistols.
A spring holds cases in the shell holder, so you can just snap in and snap out pretty easy. I use it like an auto turret press. Do my sizing and priming, then snap out and set in loading blocks. I charge separately. I tried several types of measure and powder weights were all over from constant shaking and settling of powder.

As mentioned above I get in no hurry, so I just gave up and use my single stage.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:11 PM

Default Dillion 550

I've loaded 1000's of 20 VT and 223 on a Dillion 550.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Thanks again folks for the feedback! Well I have yet to talk with some one who truly progressive reloads our smaller than 223 cartridges. Seems the auto powder drop is the biggest obstacle. I may still set it up and use it manually after annealing and trimming. Then decide how to manually throw powder. It still should save a bunch of handling time. It will be kinda like a turret press I guess. I wont even try the 17's
I actually do load .22 Hornet fully progressive but I can see how it sounded in my first post, sorry. I use LiL'Gun and it meters fine through the dillion powder measure like most ball powders. I also load the .218 MB with H4198 progressively, no issues.

With the .17 AH I load what I call semi-progressively. I do not take the case out of the press. There is a Dillon powder funnel set up that works with the Dillon powder funnel insert and goes in place of the powder measure. You set it so when the case is at the top of the stroke it is ready for powder which I dispense with the CM. After pouring powder from the CM I bring the ram back down, advance the shell plate, insert new case and set a bullet for seating and raise the ram to seat bullet. By that time the CM has dispensed a new charge of powder and I leave the ram in the upper position and dump powder. I works really well for the .17's and is surprisingly easy to load a lot of rounds quickly.