Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM

I have had the two I use since 1998 and wouldn't trade them for anything !
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM

I use a LEE little dandy i think its called only load one round its 17A/H with v 120 i check every 10th round but never have to adjust it.
Wally
Old 12-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Lol, I'll trade you for a box of once fired 9mm brass....

But I am sure you meant you WOULDN'T trade it for anything....

I saw a you-tube video of a guy using one with stick powder, and I suspect there is no advantage to the Harrells over an inexpensive RCBS measurer. They sure look nice and the micrometer looks easy to read.

Allen
Yea that what I meant.
My stupid iPad always changes that word. I don't type the apostrophe in it so for some reason it changes it back to "would" instead of "wouldn't" funny thing is that it won't change anything else that I type the same way.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Supporting Member

I found a pretty good deal on a used one a few years ago & bought it for loading Hornet size cartridges. I use it now for all my smaller stuff through 20VT using ball powders & it's easy to get consistent loads, plus it is very repeatable, so easy to set up each time. IMO, it would be the top of the heap for small measures. That being said, I would expect that you can get good results with any quality measure, but the little Harrell's just makes life a bit easier.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:00 PM

Default Measure

Thanks, guys
Old 12-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default All I use...

for loads under 25 gr. Super. Reset ability and accuracy with AA1680 and N120 is dead on.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 PM

I have the Harrel's premium measure and was interested in getting the Schutzen for the smaller cartridges. So I called up Harrel's and spoke to one of the brothers. He told me he would send me one to try out. I said, "so you will send me one to try, with no payment up front or anything" He said yes. I never took him up on the offer but I thought that was incredible.

Great measures. Once you get your groove on, they throw very accurate.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 PM

I just picked up a used Redding BR-30. It throws CFE 223 to within +-0.05 grain, but usually misses in the same direction when it does, and will throw several dead on in a row. Still, to be sure, I would weigh every thrown charge, unless I was loading a lot of rounds for a prairie dog hunt or something. It saves a lot of time if you only have to reject one out of every 4 or 5 throws.

Surprisingly, I feel it cutting kernels often, sometimes with a fair amount of resistance, even though CFE is a fine-grain "spherical" (Hodgdon's word) powder. I dressed up the cutting edges a bit with a good jeweler's file, and it seemed to improve the repeatability a little.

I also tried H-322, and it is not good - +-0.2 grains, and swinging both up and down often. For my requirements 0.2 grains is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:50 AM

Default Br 30

I have never had a good experience with my Redding BR 30. It drifts up in weight and at 10 charges would have to be readjusted. My shooting buddy told me that it had to have around 60 charges thrown and then it would stabilize. Funny thing is I tried it out while on the phone with him and the charges were all over the place. Found out later that a spider had gotten into it and spun a thick web blocking the powder flow.

Bought a BR 10X for small charges and will see how it works. I load for ground squirrels and pds so volume loading is much more convenient.

Chuck
Old 12-20-2014, 02:43 AM

Default Powder Measure

I've used a B&M (without the return spring) for about 40 years. A true classic if there is such as thing. Accurate as they come, but a bit slow.

That being said, I now use the Harrel Schutzen measure for small stuff and find it most excellent with ball powders and H-322 for the 20 VT. The Harrel BR measure is a nice measure also for ball & small grained powders as well.

Most any good quality measure will do fine with ball powders, maybe not so much with stick stuff.

I just like to use nice tools.

As mentioned, technique is important.

Jim