Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I find the 17FB and 17HH to be so effective I have never felt the need to build a 20VT for gophers.
With all the above favoring the 17FB to the 20VT to the OP, I'll just offer that owning and shooting both, my experience in the field is purely anecdotal and favors the heavier 32gr .20 cal bullet. Charts and graphs may prove me incorrect, but in the field, the advantage if any, goes to the 20VT, but again, it's purely anecdotal.

Maybe this spring I need to put them both side-by-side in the field on the same day and see if anything changes my mind. Could be interesting, and may reverse my opinion.

BUT, and it's a big 'but'.....to me, owning and shooting multiple small case, small caliber rifles is pure enjoyment. I spend over 50 days a year in the field shooting rock chucks and ground squirrels and having more than one or two rat rifles to choose from is not only great fun, but part of the Grand Scheme, at least to me. More is good in this case.

Dean, consider a 20VT to add to your rat battery.....they're just plain FUN!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Dean, consider a 20VT to add to your rat battery.....they're just plain FUN!
YES! Love shooting that little pipsqueek .20 cal. Aim, fire, repeat. And the carnage on PDs is most visually satisfying.

With that said, I have hit a PD at almost 500 yards with my .17FB. Took a few shots to walk it in. When it did hit, it killed 'em, but didn't exit.

Here he is sleeping after he accepted the 20gr VMax.

In the end, I think the kinds of winds the OP is talking about will affect just about ANY bullet in a significant manner. You're almost better off going to a <gasp> 6MM in those conditions.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Supporting Member

Rick

You and Shooter are both going to get a big lump of coal in your stockings. Imagaine that kind of blatant purchase mentoring right in the Christmas season.

Merry Christmas to all and have a Happy New Year too.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
This is one of those.

"Don't confuse me with the facts, I've already made up my mind." Kenny
Good comment, Kenny...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 AM

Default Rick

Searched on google for the Canjar single set trigger for a L461 and found that it is virtually impossible to find and extremely expensive. Guess I will live with my 1# Sako trigger.

Suspect that the advantages of the 20 VT over the 17MIV may be:

1. Increased splat factor
2. Potentially less copper fouling
3. Slightly less fumble factor with my large hands when loading small bullets.

Chuck
Old 12-19-2014, 02:41 AM
Supporting Member

Yea, if you have a factory L461 trigger down to 1# it has broken all the rules, from what I have been told. Some say 1.5# is the safe lowest trigger pull for a factory sako of their design. I have requested Jard add the L461 to their line, and they thanked me for the request.

That said, I have 3 sako's currently, and all have Canjar single set triggers. The 20VT heavy barrel gun shoots very well, but rotating the 1.5# stock trigger was difficult when all my other Skippy guns have 8 or 10 ounce triggers in them. The cost of the Canjar saved me selling it and having to buy another 20vt, but my son will probably use it as he dislikes, more than I, the Cooper bolt, which is my second 20vt.

The newest is a Riihimaki, different trigger ( looks like a model 70 pre 64 trigger) and I cought a cold before I could focus on adjusting it below 12 ounces unset. It is a Javalina, and hopefully will be for 25 and 30 grain pills for longer shots.

I have both a 17FB and a 20vt that I have used, but I really don't know if one is better than the other, Skippy launches well with both a 20 grain and a 32 grain bullet.

Did I misread your first post saying you had to hold 12" into the wind at 100 yards?

Allen

Last edited by hemiallen; 12-19-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:42 AM

Default Thanks to all who responded to my post.

It was gratifying to see the interest my question generated.

Chuck
Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 AM
Supporting Member

I don't have a favorite between the two, I love em both equal!!
The .20 VarTarg definitely provides more drama on gophers and p-dogs but I get a bit more range out of the .17MachIV/Fireball with 25 grain V-Max's.
When I go out after colony rodents I'm a believer in the "golf bag" theory of rifle selection and one of each of these is always along for the ride.
Not to many of us old geezers didn't start down the path the small caliber madness without a .17 MachIV or a .17 Ackley Hornet being part of the attraction. Once firmly gut-hooked with the affliction I don't know of anyone who tried their first .20 VarTarg and stated "YUCK, I HATE IT!!!" . It was love at first shot.
Great rounds both and I'll have at least one of each of em till I give up shooting and take up a rocking chair .
Did I mention that I feel just as strongly about the parent of the two the .221 in a rifle? Gotta have one a them too . Ain't much you can do wrong with a .221 case .
All ballistic program data to the side. Those are personal opinions made from personal field experience.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Default Mighty Mites

montdoug; It is just not possible for me to pick a favorite, especially if were talking anything 17VHA to 204Ruger. I have lately built several Mighty Mites (winter projects) (17 and 20 TCM, 20 Ackley Hornet, 17 221 40) and can't wait for spring. The wife asked, how many guns do you need for prairie dog shooting? Some girls just don't get it. sgtg out

charlesasmith; Thanks for your question, short answer, if I picked a few. 17 Hornet, 20 Vartarg, 20-223 something. sgtg out
Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Default Allen & SGTG

Allen: Yes I had to hold off 12" @ 100 yds in a fierce 90 degree wind with my .222 on my last pd trip. The grass was literally blown flat to the ground. Was the strongest I have shot in.

SGTG: Well, at least I have two of the cartridges you like in your pd arsenal - 17 AH (L461) and a 20 Practical.

Chuck