Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 Tactical

We spent most of mid afternoon on Fri. shooting PD's on a close by ranch. It was the first time I had really had a chance to shoot the little Tac 20. I must say that it was the most fun, that I have had in a prairie dog town, in years. We were able to make hits at ranges out to 400 Yds. with very little trouble. The rifle is one that I built on a sleeved XP-100, Lilja HV barrel, B&C Tactical stock, re-worked Rem trigger, Leupold 12X scope. Loads were assembled in IMI Nickel cases with H4198, Fed 205M, and Sierra "BlitzKing" 32 Gr. bullets.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Glad you are enjoying your trip. Still cold and miserably damp here at home. I'm not dreaming of a white christmas, but am dreaming about something to keep you busy for awhile when you get back. Maybe a 20 tac?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Supporting Member

Eddie, glad to see you're having a great time. Looks like Christmas came a little early for you... enjoy!!

Don
Old 12-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

You're making me jealous with the PD shooting talk.

Those little 20 cals are the most fun on PDs IMO.

What kind of velocities do you think you were hitting?
Old 12-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Supporting Member

A guy in Montana looking at how long it's gonna be till he can pop a p-doggie without digging him outta his hole with a backhoe sure could get jealous with talk like that Doc.
My Tac .20 is another of my favorite p-dog guns and way at the top of the short list a them. Sure glad yer having fun .
As to loads, my rifle has two that it puts into the same group at 100 yards. One is the original 33 grain V-Max with H4198 and 7 1/2BR primers, it chrono's 4,150ish FPS and starts the group real tiny. The second is using 40 grain V-Max's and Benchmark with 7 1/2BR's for right at 3,900FPS. All my .20 Tac ammo uses weight segregated IMI brass. The 40 grain load opens up the group just a titch but hits to the exact same point of impact as the 33's.
After seeing Dan C's set up for optics in a p-dog town I had T.K.Lee dot a Weaver Grand Slam 6X20 to the 33'grain load with dots to 500 yards. As an unusual bonus those two loads will both hit to the same dot out to 500, the 33's start out faster but the 40's better BC makes up for it as it carries out further. When Ray, Gary Richard and John were out here a few years back ole Gary was amazed at how he could mix the 33 and 40 loads in the magazine and just put the dot on em out to 500 (windage figured of course), real handy feature on a p-doggie rifle . I've come to prefer the 39's/40's in the bigger .20 cases but that's just a personal preference.
All this summer talk with us just going into winter . What state you in anyway??
Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Supporting Member

Doug I believe that was Gary's "I can't miss gun" wasn't it???
Old 12-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Doug I believe that was Gary's "I can't miss gun" wasn't it???
You got it Ray "And He Never Missed", as we all kept saying (but only cause he didn't ).
Old 12-16-2014, 12:30 PM

20 Tacs are really nice. If i had to have only one 20 caliber it would be hard choice of 20 Tac or 20 Vartarg.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 tac

Thanks for all the replies. I had a ball and my traveling buddy Jason Carder, Carder Taxidermy, shot his first ever PD's. He's hooked for sure. Looks like I'll be re-barrelling his 223 sometime soon. The rifle we were using was one I built a year or so ago to sell. It never sold and I'm really glad. It now resides in New Mexico, with it's big brother 20 PPC, waiting for my return and getting some use from Dave. If someone, who is more computer literate than I am, (that sure covers a lot of people) would be interested in posting some pictures for me would contact me via PM, I'll send the pics so they can post. Thanks again, Eddie.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

Eddie if you want, e-mail them to SShooterZ@aol.com and I'll get them posted for you.