Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 PM

The amazing thing to me is that for $39 you didn't have those tags on you when you live there & are out hunting that area knowing that both species could potentially present themselves. You could have shot both of them without a caller & now you are asking what caller is the best to buy??? The power of TV marketing is a powerful thing. All you needed was the TAGS!!! What's even more amazing is that everyone that responded was telling you what technology you needed to buy to shoot the animal that you could have shot without all that technology that cost hundreds of dollars if you had only bought a $39 dollar tag. Go figure!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
The amazing thing to me is that for $39 you didn't have those tags on you when you live there & are out hunting that area knowing that both species could potentially present themselves. You could have shot both of them without a caller & now you are asking what caller is the best to buy??? The power of TV marketing is a powerful thing. All you needed was the TAGS!!! What's even more amazing is that everyone that responded was telling you what technology you needed to buy to shoot the animal that you could have shot without all that technology that cost hundreds of dollars if you had only bought a $39 dollar tag. Go figure!
Great point Hawkeye. Not sure I ever said that to an Iowanian before!!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:47 PM

Heck, we ALL have 20/20 hindsight.....
Old 12-15-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waskawood View Post
Great point Hawkeye. Not sure I ever said that to an Iowanian before!!
After the beating the Gophers put on my beloved Hawkeyes this year, I will accept any compliment from a "Laker".
Old 12-16-2014, 12:14 AM

I bought the cheapest FoxPro there is the Spit Fire. Comes with 24 sounds. The more expensive you go the more sounds and more whistles and buzzers. I think we're in the same age group and I don't need all that other stuff. You can also get more memory cards and download other sounds and just plug them in. They just get more complicated as you go up in price and at our age who needs that. Plus there's a lot of sites that offer free sounds and you just download them. You aren't stuck with FoxPro sounds only. Google is your friend for all the other stuff I was talking about. You can download software that will convert your other sounds to mp3 to use on the caller. Any other questions pm me and I'll be glad to help. P.S if you go to the FoxPro site there is a used for sale section.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Administrator

I agree with the hellfire and a HORN speaker. I got the foxpro scorpion because it was small and compact. Its ok for quiet, close in fox calling with squeaky prey sounds, but out west in big country or for howls it's just not loud enough. I just scored a 12 watt horn speaker that'll plug into it for $18 shipped. See if that makes any difference. If not, it's going down the road.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 AM

Hellfire, HORN speaker, scorpion, 12 watt speaker, $18 shipped, 24 sounds, the more expensive you go the more whistles & bells, Google your friends with the latest mp3 sounds. Sounds like a great outdoor experience.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Ya got any idea how much it would cost to buy all the tags needed for anything I might see out here that I might wanna shoot when hunting something else? Moose, bear, bighorn, mountain goats, elk, deer, wolves, mountain lions, pronghorns and a few others I'm probably forgetting (I forgot bison, really wanna shoot a buffalo! See em pretty regular too ). How many a them animals you buy tags for in Iowa ?
Besides I rather like predator hunting as a stand alone sport and think it might be kinda fun to kill a little time up there on snow shoes like times past when I ain't fishing. The new callers look like a hoot!! Kinda like BCB's suggestion as well to just break out some of the old hand calls along with some of the newer "Critter Calls" I picked up a few years ago and shot some coyotes with.
Gotta do something to fight the boredom.

Last edited by montdoug; 12-16-2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Forgot bison, really wanna shoot a buffalo!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 AM
Supporting Member

If you have old eyes like me, the low end FoxPro's are out. You need the TX-1000 or you will not be able to read the remote. If $$ is an issue, don't rule out the Primos Alpha Dog. It has an easy to read color remote, the sounds can be put into categories, it has a built-in stand, and is super loud and clear (with good batteries, like all e-callers). It even has some pre-loaded sequences and can be had for around $229 shipped. I have one and a FoxPro Fusion ($650) with extra speaker.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Supporting Member

Are elk calf distress calls on the menu of some a these? Ya got no idea how many young elk get processed into wolf turds around here daily. I really don't do well with beau-coups electronic gadgets so excessive gizmos aren't necessarily a plus in my book.
DAA mentioned the Fox-Pro Hellfire and AlbertaAl recommended the Wildlife Technologies, I figure they oughta know. Not that the rest of ya don't . Sure a lot to learn in this area .