Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 AM

One of the low end Foxpros would be my choice.They have a decent remote and good sounds. you don't always need 200 different sounds.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Maybe all you need is a gutpile, let the assortment of birds do the calling for you.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
Maybe all you need is a gutpile, let the assortment of birds do the calling for you.
You got that right! Up "Taylor's Fork" down the Gallatin Valley a rifle shot has become a dinner bell for the grizzly's. A gun goes off and they come looking for the dead elk or it's gut-pile. It can get pretty western in a hurry down there!
Back when we had a grizzly season they were afraid of hunters but now they have stopped the grizzly hunts the bears have lost all fear and regained their place in the food chain. Unfortunately so have we .
Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Default 30 years ago

About 30-35 years ago I recorded myself on cassette blowing a predator call.
I used the cassette player in the field and it worked okay - but batteries and chargers were costly.

For todays calling I suggest a furry decoy be used at calling stands to distract the animals sharp eyes from watching you.
Remember to always park yourself at least 300 ft or more downwind from the caller. Coyotes always wide-circle the the caller to catch a scent.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Depends on terrain. Coyotes often just go straight to the caller in my area of operations. And sitting a hundred yards from the caller, I'd likely not be able to see it, which would mean lots of coyotes coming all the way in to the caller and leaving, without me ever seeing them.

So many variables, one just has to play the situation at hand. But, one hard fast rule about using an e-call, is always, always-always make sure you can actually SEE the caller and at least some of the approaches to it. Because that's the source of the sound and at least a certain percentage of coyotes are going to end up right there on top of it. Where I hunt, that is a fairly large percentage. Not terribly uncommon to have them actually bite the FoxPro.

- DAA
Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Never having owned, or exposed to e-callers in use, this thread has been pretty interesting for me. Thank you, Doug. Quick question for those who know the Wildlife Technologies round up. A trip to their website has me believing that they only offer one caller and it is pushing $600? Guess if I am not smart enough to navigate their website, there is no hope of me operating their caller.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member

I know the very first time I set up using a hand held "Critter Call" after a bit of practice I near had a young coyote run right up my leg. He was dang sure gonna be the first to get to that rabbit. I was sure I'd see any interested parties sneaking up a draw below me and instead he come at a dead run across the worked land that was flat as a pool table to my left. I had my scope cranked to 20 cause I was positive I had the set figured out, so all I saw was a blur when I gassed him at a dead run about 30 yards away.
Like the young lion my buddy had right on top of him cause he just wasn't expecting the lion itself nor that perticular approach, they do what they wanna do which sure makes it interesting .
I use to be ok at this but that was a long time ago and wolves weren't the quarry so I got one heck of a lot to relearn! I sure appreciate the input fellas .
My concern too Ramos, I'm computer challenged and technology stupid !

Last edited by montdoug; 12-16-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Full disclosure - I'm FoxPro field staff and biased. Simply put, I'm a FoxPro guy.

That said... If considering between WT and FoxPro, I would suggest researching comments on customer service. Particularly if you think you might be a bit technology challenged and like to get a bit of help over the phone once in awhile.

Like I said though - I'm a FoxPro guy, have recorded a lot of the jackrabbit sounds they use, have taken them out filming, have been sponsored by them on my video productions, have a very long, close relationship with them, etc. So, do take that into consideration too, when evaluating my input.

- DAA
Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks D. That's just the kind of honesty I'd expect from you . Because of that it sure doesn't disqualify your opinion or advice in any way.
The service aspect is huge to me. I'm not an email kinda guy. I like things the old fashion way, like when people use to actually talk to each other. What a concept .
Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Supporting Member

montdoug

Don't know about down there but up here yotes are going for some pretty good dollars. So is bobcat and lynx. It wouldn't take more than about four dogs to pay for the most expensive caller.

We played with a Foxpro caller this year that my partner bought, least expensive one they make, the scorpion. It is the only E caller I have any experience with, previously it was all mouth calls. Call carried very well even in high wind. I could hear my partner running it over 3/4 mile away. Definitely calls in game but we sent it back as the remote was pooched. Has to press the buttons many many times to get it to react. Apparently they had a batch with this problem, service was friendly and fast.

If I run across a Wildlife Technologies that Alberta Al recommends I may pick one up so we have a basis of comparison. Al where did you get yours from?

Last edited by Dean2; 12-16-2014 at 04:36 PM.