Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Whittakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShooterZ View Post
I think Whitakers is running a 452 special for under $400 right now.

That would be me preference.

I already checked with Whittakers, they do not have them in the Varmint model. I found a nice used 453, But by the time it gets through my FFL it will cost me $540.00. (and I am thinking of pulling the trigger on that purchase). I think that is a little high but they don't seem easy to find. Nelson
Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Supporting Member

I have the 452 American in LH, one in 22RF and one in 17 HMR. I tuned the triggers, and like them both. I do not find the light barrel any type of a disadvantage in a RF and it makes for lighter carrying guns. Even if the 455 came in LH I would stick to the 452 or 453. I have trouble believing the switch barrel feature is a good idea and since you have to resight each time it makes more sense to me to have one gun in each cartridge.

I also have LH Annies in 22 RF and 17 HMR. They are more money but they do shoot a tad better than the CZs so it just depends on what you are ultimately looking for.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:43 PM

452s and 453s are getting hard to find. Everyone who has them usually keeps them.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Default 453

Thanks for all the input, I guess I am going to try and make a deal with the guy on the 453. He say's it is the 453 Varmint fluted barrel still new in box. So I think this may not be that bad of a deal after all. Nelson
Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

Sorry about that, I should have mentioned they were Americans.

Check out Rimfirecentral.com too. They're always peddling 452/3s.

I have 3 varmint models in .17HM2, .17HMR and .22LR.
The .17HM2 might be the most accurate factory rimfire I own. It's unreal.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Supporting Member

I have and have had a number of 452's with the Brookie trigger kit that cheap fix or not makes for a real nice trigger IMO and I like em. So it's fair to say I like the 452's real well.

I've never had or shot a 453 so about them I'm like Sgt Schultz in Hogan's Hero's, "I know nothing"! I do however like CZ's set triggers a lot.

I fairly recently picked up a 455 Varmint in .22 Mag and with it I find a lot to like too. On the trigger, I did a light touch up with "Moly Slide" on a toothpick and the trigger breaks at almost exactly 2 LBS and crisp (just went back to test again so I didn't BS anyone and it was about an oz less then 2 LBS).
I like the changeable barrel deal. In fact, I not only bought CZ's .17HMR barrel which shoots like crazy just like the 452's do but I really wanted to finally have a truly accurate .22 Magnum so I cheated and bought a Lilga barrel that went on in a mere couple a minutes. I finally have a truly accurate .22 Magnum after many years of wishing I could find one. I should add that the new 455 Varmint has a "much" heavier barrel than the 452 Varmint. It mic's .866 at the muzzle, I really like that, but some walk around guys might not??
Factory muzzle.

Whole rifle with new Liga built to CZ's contour only stainless.

5 shots at 100 yards Best group of course, best I've ever shot with a .22 Mag at a 100 for that matter and I even yanked one low.

It shot a 10 shot group at a .92 and at a 100 yards near every single one of the 5 shot groups were under an inch. Most accurate .22 Mag I've ever had by far.

As an aside. I was curious about Marine's statement of just the one lug??? So as old dudes with free long distance have a tendency to do I called em. The answer I got from the gunsmith was straight forward and made sense. "It cost less to produce and is way strong enough for any rimfire" he said. Also said "It allows CZ to use the same action length for all the rimfire's from .22LR to .17 HMR or .22 Mag, that's why you can switch barrels on em". I can personally attest to the accuracy still being there as all my 452's have provided and on mine at least the trigger's much better but I was told mine is an anomaly and most of the triggers break at around 4 LBS unless ya work on em just like the 452's.
All that said I sure like my 455 but I must confess to the idea Marine planted in my feeble brain of only one lug doesn't sit near as well as having two (Thanks Jarhead ) just kidding Amigo, good info to know, thanks for real. Guess that's the downside to getting no magazines and only hanging out here on Saubier.com, I really am turning into Sgt Schultz.
That's my take on the 3 models for what little it's worth.

P.S.
SShooterZ, Roger that on the .17 M2!!!

Last edited by montdoug; 12-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you all for the help. I went ahead and let the guy know I would take the 453. I have a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24X50mm and a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40mm scope that are sitting around waiting for a rifle. Not sure if the Vortex would be to big for this little rifle or not, they are both pretty clear for lower priced scopes. I guess I will wait until she arrives and then decide which to go with. May have to put a little overtime to buy up some ammo, only have 5 boxes of the Hornady 17gr vmax stuff to get me started.

Thanks to all for the help. Nelson
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Supporting Member

Glad it worked out and thanks for closing the loop on what you ended up deciding. Always nice to know the outcome of these advice or opinion threads and in so many other forums the OP can't seem to be bothered posting the outcome, fix found etc. All the best with the new gun.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
As an aside. I was curious about Marine's statement of just the one lug??? So as old dudes with free long distance have a tendency to do I called em. The answer I got from the gunsmith was straight forward and made sense. "It cost less to produce and is way strong enough for any rimfire" he said. Also said "It allows CZ to use the same action length for all the rimfire's from .22LR to .17 HMR or .22 Mag, that's why you can switch barrels on em". I can personally attest to the accuracy still being there as all my 452's have provided and on mine at least the trigger's much better but I was told mine is an anomaly and most of the triggers break at around 4 LBS unless ya work on em just like the 452's.
All that said I sure like my 455 but I must confess to the idea Marine planted in my feeble brain of only one lug doesn't sit near as well as having two (Thanks Jarhead ) just kidding Amigo, good info to know, thanks for real. Guess that's the downside to getting no magazines and only hanging out here on Saubier.com, I really am turning into Sgt Schultz.
That's my take on the 3 models for what little it's worth.
Sorry Doug!

~Tim

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

CZ 452 2E-ZKM 17M2 Varmint, 5 shots @ 50yds.

Adam