Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM

Default Switch barrel rifles- how difficult?? Newbie help please.

Hi
How many of you guys have switch barrel rifles??

Please explain your experience with a switch barrel and why you chose to build it instead of having 2 rifles?

How have you set them up??
What calibers are they in?

What scope(s) have you used? OR are you using 2 scopes an QR mounts? If using a QR system which one would you recommend?

Do you or have you changed barrels in the field- how difficult is it??
Can it be done without taking the action from the stock??
Do you go hand tight or do you use a tension wrench?
Once the new barrel is on- approx how much sight in error is there??

Thanks heaps- I really appreciate you help guys

Later
P
Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Supporting Member

One scope same mounts. Not worth the hassle if you ask me. I'd had a few and will try to find another action/ and stock next time.

ML
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default switch barrels sound so neat....

and they are for a while. Then you may decide that it's too much trouble to get back to the range and sight in AGAIN for another barrel you neatly screwed on. Then you want to change again. Back to the range to sight in AGAIN. If you have a lathe and knowlege of threading and headspacing barrels it is fun to do and a learning process [best to learn FIRST then do the fitting ].
Although I have a couple of switch barrels, I also HUNT. I find that I'd rather have a single rifle for each caliber/cartridge I want to use and not try to find the PRECIOUS TIME needed for the trips to and from the range to sight them in.
I more often now KEEP a barrel on an action and stock for a while. I may change it a good while later but the thing I do most is KEEP things sighted in and don't mess with them anymore.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM

If you want to do switch barrels on the economy plan, you should consider Savage. I currently own 5-6 actions and at least a dozen barrels. I swap scopes, stocks, bolt faces and barrels as the need and want-to arises.

I make at least one annual trip (sometimes two) to shoot prairie dogs in South Dakota. I will take 3-4 actions and twice that many barrels. My favorite stock will get used almost all the time with the barrel & caliber changed several times during the trip. The scope that goes with that action & stock will stay together. Re sighting will only take a few minutes and will always be on paper @ 100 yards no matter which barrel I use. Choices run from 223AI, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6-250, 250 AI and 243.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to make the change in the field. If I'm changing bolt faces, maybe a little longer, but sometimes I just swap bolts. I don't know if I would go to the trouble to deal with a switch barrel in anything other than a Savage, but I might consider a Remington, which would be a little more difficult and pricey, but doable.

Yesterday, I was at a fun shoot (eggs & poker chips @ 300 yards) and one of the guys switched barrels at least three times to take advantage of conditions, distance and the ammo he had available.

Rick
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 AM

I have two switch barrel rifles and use them both. My barrels are just hand tightened and know big deal to change. I don't have far to go to site mine in so once again no big deal. Most of my scopes have Warne quick release rings and bases so i can switch to any scope i wish to use.. T.A.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM

P,

I have two switch barrel guns. ! - is a Hall action with 3 barrels. it was built as a 22-250AI, and I have added a 12 tw 6 BR barrel, then added a 8tw 6BRX (6BR IMP). The next gun is a Stiller Diamondback with a 10 tw 6BR and a 17 tw 30BR barrel. I don't take the scopes off to change the barrels. I have a NF 8 x 32 on the Hall and a 36 Weaver on the DB. The next gun I am looking to put together is a 223AI with a 20 TAC barrel for PD's.

Mark