Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Banned

Default Short Range Bench Rest Contender?

I got a chance to do a pressure ladder with my friend's Long Range Coyote/Varmint rifle in 700 Remington. It is the first 20 EXTREME with an 8" twist, 24" barrel, which is required to stabilize the Berger 55 LRBT Varmint/Target bullet at speeds under 3300 fps. The Lapua 222 Match brass, with neck turned to 0.0012", at 22 caliber, before forming to 20 EXTREME. This is a one pass operation and forms brass with minimal Head Space, and run-out at less than 0.015" on the 10 rounds that I loaded. Brass can be formed back to its original dimensions or the neck can be sized to just the depth that the bearing surface will be seated by backing the die out.

This is about as close as you can get to perfection as the load is just under 100%, or slightly compressed, and pressures are just fire-forming the brass to the chamber with enough spring-back to have easy bolt lift. The Remington 700 bolt will have to have the firing pin hole bushed and likely CCI BR4, or 450 Primers will have to be used.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 AM
Supporting Member

Default 20 Extreme

looks like it will be fun to shoot, will you be loading and of the lighter weight bullets to check their performance? FS
Old 08-23-2016, 04:57 PM

You forgot that it is a Bob Jury barrel! From Red Deer Alberta. Stainless steel, chambered, cerakoted and put together by Julien at Downrange Precision.

Super X - I did some work with 32 and 40 grain bullets and found some good loads for the 40 grain Bergers, didn't find a good load for the 32 grain Varmageddon though. That could be me. On a bad day Laverne is a better shot than me on a good day. I don't have much (any) for gophers around home so I think more of the heavier bullets for coyotes and never did try any 26 grain for that reason. My load for the 55 grain Bergers was shooting under moa at 400 yards when I had a good day.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super X View Post
looks like it will be fun to shoot, will you be loading and of the lighter weight bullets to check their performance? FS
I shot my 39 BK gopher load to compare pressures, see Load Data Forum, and found that the 8" twist barrel did raise the pressures a bit but not drastically. Was waiting for you to come down and do the shooting as I am not up to snuff since having the strokes this spring. The groups were not great, partly because the scope was set too far forward, and I need your front rest. However when I went to move the scope I found that the front mount base screw was twisted off so may not be my shooting after all? Need a set of rings to get rifle back up and running before I do any more accuracy testing.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
You forgot that it is a Bob Jury barrel! From Red Deer Alberta. Stainless steel, chambered, cerakoted and put together by Julien at Downrange Precision.

Super X - I did some work with 32 and 40 grain bullets and found some good loads for the 40 grain Bergers, didn't find a good load for the 32 grain Varmageddon though. That could be me. On a bad day Laverne is a better shot than me on a good day. I don't have much (any) for gophers around home so I think more of the heavier bullets for coyotes and never did try any 26 grain for that reason. My load for the 55 grain Bergers was shooting under moa at 400 yards when I had a good day.
Hi Kelly,

Don't be too hard on yourself. Seems I remember you making as many 300 yard head shots, on the gopher targets, as me and 100% ain't bad.

May have to complement Bob Jury on his barrels. Just cleaned after 34 rounds and this is what I got. Top left loose patch of Wipe-out accelerator, 1 loose patch-out, wait 1/2 hour and run tight patches through until clean. I added a picture of the 55 grain bullet loaded and one in a CZ 527, 223 mag. Barrel is about broke in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 EXTREME View Post
I shot my 39 BK gopher load to compare pressures, see Load Data Forum, and found that the 8" twist barrel did raise the pressures a bit but not drastically. Was waiting for you to come down and do the shooting as I am not up to snuff since having the strokes this spring. The groups were not great, partly because the scope was set too far forward, and I need your front rest. However when I went to move the scope I found that the front mount base screw was twisted off so may not be my shooting after all? Need a set of rings to get rifle back up and running before I do any more accuracy testing.
Some guys always whining about equipment ..... I picked up a set of low rings today and have a set of medium to bring as well. Hope to get down there in the next couple of days