Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Supporting Member

When figuring the cost of reloaded ammo how many times do you divide the cost of the brass? If you figure 8 firings you divide it by 8, 4 firings by 4 etc. IMO that has a big effect on cost and without everyone using the same number per type of case it's pretty tough to do much on an accurate comparison. It's also pretty tough to walk into my reloading room and and say to yourself, "Yupper, I'll bet he does all this to save money ".
It's the sport/hobby I've chosen and those endeavors cost money.
Further, I've had rifles and handguns I've used and enjoyed for 20 years or more and gotten more for em when I sold em than when I bought em (no I didn't figure inflation ).

On straight reloading cost, I just run the numbers loading on a 100 rounds for my new favorite toy the .20 Ackley Hornet. I used 8 firings on the brass, shooting 32 grain V-Max's and 13.5 grains of 1680 all at more money then I spent on the components when I stocked up on em. Roughly figuring I can shoot a hundred of them for cheaper by $5.00 or $6.00 than I can buy 2 boxes of 17 grain HMR ammo at the local store and at the current prices. Being a guy that stocks up at sales etc, if I used my actual price I paid for components it'd be more then that. For example I paid $12.00 for 100 WW Hornet cases but I used the board sponsors Reed's $25.00 per 100 which is a good price today I'd guess in my calculations.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

Didn't mean to come across "jerky" but when I go shooting, I go shooting. Got more ammo to shoot so I shoot it. Don't bother to check how much it cost me.
I know it'll cost me more in the long run because it'll all get fired. I go so I can shoot. When you go thru a bunch of powder like 40 pounds of AA2230 C, you know you've spent a bunch of $$. Try that many rounds of over the counter ammo. That will put a BIG DENT in your wallet! And when you roll your own, you've always got ammo. Custom made at that.
200 rounds + is the norm for one range trip. A bunch more if I bring gas guns then I just bring a 5 gallon bucket for brass.

I have some BR brass that has been reloaded 25 to 30 times and still going strong. I don't bother to figure out how much it costs me. Most of my ammo uses custom made brass so it's pretty hard to figure price per round. All wildcats so over the counter ammo isn't available.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 08-07-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago I figured it really wasn't worth the time to reload. Sure back then it was cheaper to reload then today but I figured my time into the equation and it just didn't seem worth it... But above all else the number one thing was I enjoyed it??? Why? I'm not sure? Secondly like like fiddling with loads and guns to improve accuracy.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:59 AM

I really dont shoot much. Just stoking up for the "what ifs" in this uncertain life. I still have boxes of ammo i purchased 35+ yrs ago. I only shoot to sight in for a hunting trip or while actually hunting. Blowing off ammo is a waste of my time and money. When i put five shots in a tiney group i pack it up and go home and load that particular load up. Its much more satisfying to me to look at my reloading room and see 50,000 rounds on the shelf. Its a secure feeling, an insurance policy if you will. And i do belive the day is coming in the history of this country to cash in my policy. Novembers coming and its gonna get ugly
Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgun View Post
I really dont shoot much. Just stoking up for the "what ifs" in this uncertain life. I still have boxes of ammo i purchased 35+ yrs ago. I only shoot to sight in for a hunting trip or while actually hunting. Blowing off ammo is a waste of my time and money. When i put five shots in a tiney group i pack it up and go home and load that particular load up. Its much more satisfying to me to look at my reloading room and see 50,000 rounds on the shelf. Its a secure feeling, an insurance policy if you will. And i do belive the day is coming in the history of this country to cash in my policy. Novembers coming and its gonna get ugly

Yep talking to my buddie over the weekend and if Hillary gets in I think the ability to own firearms by the public will be under threat and he even said the 2nd amendment would be under attack..........it's not looking good for your freedoms..........Kiwi
Old 08-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Supporting Member

I don't reload to save money. I do it because it is more of a Hobby. And like Varmintshooter says I get ammo I cant buy anywhere else.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 PM

Hand loading has been one of my more expensive hobbies, all things considered. I'm sure I've spent quite a bit more than simply buying factory ammo would have cost over the years.

But, for many years now, I rarely shoot anything for which factory ammo even exists. So hand loading isn't really even optional for me, it's required.

- DAA
Old 08-08-2016, 01:54 PM

Just admit that your hobby are guns, ammo, reloading, and shooting and that it is
expensive to say the least. As are any hobby one may have or choose to get into.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
I buy 8 lb jugs of powder. Primers in 5000 count packs. I wait for deals on bullets and get them in bulk for .6 or .8 each.
I think the bullet cost may have slipped a decimal place. I've seen bulk .224/55gr fmj for as low as 6¢ but never point 6¢ per.

Not that it makes any difference. We all choose where to place our Fun Fund$ and let the good times roll. I don't do scattergun but a Bud has tens of thousands of rounds through his favorites. With the price of lead shot, he now buys from WM for abt a 15% I increase over what he can do in the garage.

Everyone just keep on doing what trips your trigger and enjoy it.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Yes 6 cents my bad
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10