Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-17-2016, 04:13 AM
Supporting Member

Default 223 Rem barrel length

Hi guys.

A friend mine down here was putting in an order with Lilja early this summer and asked if had any need for a new barrel- quantity discount. My current 223 I bought used close to 20yrs ago, no markings on the barrel, have not the slightest idea on round count before it came to live at my house, Well over 2k maybe closer to 3 since then. I know what you are thinking, that's all, what have I been doing. Simple BPCR, 45-70, 50-90. I do run out of case before I run out of throat on most bullets lighter than 55grs. Still shoots fairly decent.

I decided on a SS 3-groove 1:10. I forgot the exact contour, but muzzle is around .650-675in. This brings me to the question, what length? Is there any general consensus on what length would be better? Or does it even really make much difference at all, aside from personal preference? Will be shooting 40-55gr bullets.

The barrel should be in before the end of the month, not sure how soon I will have it put on. Best to sort out a few of the details before giving it to the smith. Feel free to chime in with any other helpful info or suggestions. Oh it will be put on a short action Win M70.

Many thanks,

Michael
Old 08-17-2016, 04:30 AM

Depends a lot on how long it is when you get it. Hard to make them longer. Larry
Old 08-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Supporting Member

I always use the full length of the blank, leaving the shank about 4" long. This way the barrel can be set back or rechambered a couple times. Just a little more bang for your buck.... Most of my shooting is done from the sitting position. If you are going to use it for a carry rifle this may not be your best option.

Aaron
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Supporting Member

22" will get you the same velocity as 27". I was using xbr8208 and 75s. It produced velocities identical at both 22"/ 27". There's the valid point of set back, but in a 223 unless the steel is crap you'll get bored of it before it dies.

Adam
Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Not sure if this info enters in to your decision but my last two Lilja's had a saw cut roughly 1" from the muzzle end and they recommended that much be removed.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 PM

Default 223 Rem barrel length

Most folks seem to be very happy with their barrels running around 23-24 inch, for most general shooting/hunting. Seems like most bench rifles run around 24-26. Always have heard a general rule is about 30 FPS up or down, with barrel length. Bull berry had/has a FPS test/info on their website, I believe, showing FPS in various barrel lengths. Bill K
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 AM
Supporting Member

The barrel can finish up to 27ins. Was thinking in the 24-26in range and allowing for set back in the future should the need and/desire arise. Appreciate the input. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 AM
Supporting Member

Leaving your options open is always a wise choice.

Aaron
Old 08-23-2016, 02:47 AM
Supporting Member

Well the barrel showed. Time to make up my mind.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Years ago I ran tests on barrel length in various 223 weapons available to me and my buddies. I can't find the actual data, as that was maybe four or five computers ago. I used 55gr NATO ball ammo, and used any action weapon that was chambered for 223/5.56, including bolt actions, T/C pistol, AR-15's and even an HK-53. As I recall, barrel lengths ranged from 8, 14, 16, 20, 22, 24 and 26 inches. I remember the result, though. The linear regression fit said 29.3 fps/per inch of barrel length. Hope this helps.