Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 EXTREME View Post
You are partly right in your analysis but the original VT chamber specs are .374", at the .200" datum, which is ahead of the web by about .030". Winchester and Remington brass run between 0.372" and .3728" at the head, as you are calling it, and about 0.3715"- 0.3723 at the .200 datum. LC brass measures .3732" at the head and nearly the same at the base datum. Lapua Brass measures .375"- .3752 when sized with proper HS at the head and .375" at the base datum. This means that the sizing die has to size part of the web from .375 down to .3745". This puts a alot of strain on your press and if it is not strong enough could be the reason, along with shoulder spring-back, that you are experiencing this problem. The brass will be a very tight fit in your standard VT chamber.
To the OP, sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but it would seem 20EXTREME would have a similar issue then sizing Lake City 223 to form his cartridge, from .3732" down to under .3720" as in his drawing?

Last edited by M595NUT; 08-25-2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Default Graphite application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on applying the graphite powder to the inside of case necks efficiently? I am dipping the case neck into the container and tapping it to shake off the excess. Messy and slow; if someone knows a better way please I would appreciate hearing about it.
Redding sells a small round container (~1 1/8" round by ~ 1 3/4" tall) under the Imperial Lube banner that holds graphite powder and a similar size container of small ceramic balls. Just add a little graphite powder to the container of ceramic balls, shake it up and dip the case necks into this container. Replenish the powdered graphite periodically as it is used up. Pretty slick!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
Throw that Hornady away. Redding Type S. Pulling an expander ball back through a sized neck is just asking for trouble, especially with Hornady using the original 224 nk diameter.

Adam
Adam,

Are you talking about a Redding Full Length bushing die or a Neck bushing die? I have had miserable run out from Redding Neck bushing dies when trying to neck down a caliber, both 20VT and 20P. I tried everything Hornady tech suggested including using 3 equally graduated bushings but no better results.

Last year I bought a FL sizing die from CH4D for my 20 Practical after lots of frustration with a Redding Neck Bushing die causing runout. The owner of CH4D said he will not make a neck bushing die because the case is not supported, thus runout results. The CH4D works great. One pass through the press and done with very little runout.

For the Hornady using the graphite powder on the expander ball fixed the variable headspace measurements. The runout is very low too, .001 or less typical with a fair number at zero runout.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Supporting Member

I'm talking about the FL Type S. The reamers I have match the die the perfectly, it'll sis .002" at the base and shoulder on a tight chamber.

Don't firm with the type s dies, you're correct on the run out issue. I use a 20vt die to size almost all my 223 based 20cals, for fireforming. You need a shoulder to form the mouth and funnel it down the neck.

Adam
Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M595NUT View Post
To the OP, sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, but it would seem 20EXTREME would have a similar issue then sizing Lake City 223 to form his cartridge, from .3732" down to under .3720" as in his drawing?

The drawing you refer to is of a new Win. 222R case out of the bag. they have been measuring .372 to .3728" at the base and .348-.37485 at the shoulder. My chamber is .350 at the shoulder and .374 at the 0.200"base datum. My dies form the fired brass to .349", at shoulder, and .373" at the base datum. No problem forming the Lake City Brass just run it through a 222R FL die, with expander removed, Trim the neck to 1.580", expand and turn necks with K&M tool to 0.0114" and run through my form/re-size die and they are good to go.
Winchester 222R works best and does not require neck turning, but I do recommend it.

To the OP: If you could find it you could run 17 REM FB brass through your Hornady VT die and do away with all of the messing around with 221 Lapua or 223 brass and do just fine. It does not even require neck turning or fire-forming and works great in my sons 17 M4.