Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

Default Small caliber black powder gun

While weaving threw the people at the Dixon's Gunmaking Fair yesterday I came across the Price Barrels booth. These fellas make one of the most sought after BP barrels in the country I am told. I got into a conversation with Mr Price and asked what would be the smallest caliber barrel he could make. He informed him the smallest he would do was a .40 cal. Although he has done some special orders fo .36 cal. I went on to tell him about my interest in .17, .20, and .22. He told me in barrel manufacturing lingo (which was like talking to me in Swahili) how it would be a lost cause to produce anything lower than .40 cal. I yessed him to death then took a look at a few rifles he had there. These rifles were just finished for customers and were there as display only but did have price tags I guess to inform you what one would cost. Now they were real gems of the type of craftsmanship I have never seen before in a BP rifle. Silver inlays, wood that would make you cry for, but at the tune of fifteen to twenty thousand dollars to own one I was a bit taken back lol. After touring all the tables I came to the conclusion I was a bit out of my league here. Every rifle for sale was well over five thousand dollars. Now I am not saying they aren't worth it. One fella told me he had a year into one rifle. But.... I lost my interest in the .17 caliber smokepole real fast.lol.

The fair was a good time in the hills of Pa. I really luv that state. It was a breath of fresh air from the armpit of America we call NJ. All the fellas at the tables were friendly and eager to answer any questions. The seminars were outstanding. If you are into smokepoles this is one you do not want to miss.

Steve
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Supporting Member

i think this may have been the same fair a good friend from here saubier went too as well. we had this same conversation yesterday (and I brought it up on saubier many years ago too). Some reason I thought 32 or 36 cal and thought it would be neat to have one in a quarter bore since the subs won’t work out. Sounds like a great time!!! Can ya imagine a tiny patch and a BB
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

Or maybe a pea sized Pyrodex Pellet and a .177 pellet
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Flintlock in left hand and .32 caliber and these are very common in percussion too. You can buy them new off the shelf for anywhere on up from $400. Mine is a custom built, made back in the 70s, that I bought used when the maker passed away, it was one of his personal guns. Very well made, tight metal to wood fit, a Douglas barrel. It was built as a hunter shooter so no carving, inlays or fancy scroll work and I bought it for less than $500.

It is a hoot to shoot and fun on squirrel, partridge, rabbit and the like. It is also very accurate, shooting right around an inch at 50 yards with regualr open sights. I have seen flintlocks as small as .25 caliber and have heard of them having been as small as .22 but have never seen one. You can easily order .32 barrels, and I am sure Green Mountain would make you one down to about .22, and they can be either flint or percussion. If you go flintlock, you need to use real BP as the subs don't work well. In a percusssion the subs work fine.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
While weaving threw the people at the Dixon's Gunmaking Fair yesterday I came across the Price Barrels booth. These fellas make one of the most sought after BP barrels in the country I am told. I got into a conversation with Mr Price and asked what would be the smallest caliber barrel he could make. He informed him the smallest he would do was a .40 cal. Although he has done some special orders fo .36 cal. I went on to tell him about my interest in .17, .20, and .22. He told me in barrel manufacturing lingo (which was like talking to me in Swahili) how it would be a lost cause to produce anything lower than .40 cal. I yessed him to death then took a look at a few rifles he had there. These rifles were just finished for customers and were there as display only but did have price tags I guess to inform you what one would cost. Now they were real gems of the type of craftsmanship I have never seen before in a BP rifle. Silver inlays, wood that would make you cry for, but at the tune of fifteen to twenty thousand dollars to own one I was a bit taken back lol. After touring all the tables I came to the conclusion I was a bit out of my league here. Every rifle for sale was well over five thousand dollars. Now I am not saying they aren't worth it. One fella told me he had a year into one rifle. But.... I lost my interest in the .17 caliber smokepole real fast.lol.

The fair was a good time in the hills of Pa. I really luv that state. It was a breath of fresh air from the armpit of America we call NJ. All the fellas at the tables were friendly and eager to answer any questions. The seminars were outstanding. If you are into smokepoles this is one you do not want to miss.

Steve
I have a shiloh sharps 40/65. It is lots of fun. It was a lot cheaper than 20K. Nothing like the smell of black powder
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM

I shoot flinters in .32 and .36 and I doubt I'd ever go below a .36 again. Fouling gets to be very problematic below about a .36 and frankly a .40 is likely the best accuracy. My Ron Elhert .36 is a blast however pushing that little ball about 1900fps with a sharp crack, quite accurate as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Supporting Member

Tim, Mr Price told me all the compatition shooter favor the .40.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 PM

I had a home made percussion gun in 22, I have no idea who made it. Everything on it but the barrel was hand made, I'm assuming that it was made for a kid. It was a pain to load, I used T shot and a patch or just greased 22 Cal pellets and a 22 long rifle case of FFFg. Out to 50 yards it shot ok I even won a few matches with it, I would show up at the shoots with my .22 and .72 sure got lots of looks. I traded it off a few years ago wish I hadn't.

Bob
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Supporting Member

Bob do you remember the twist on that 22??? I would guess it was many times slower than a centerfire.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 AM

When I got it the bore was a mess, it looked like it was made from a 22 short barrel about a 20 twist. I had to reline it and all I had was a 14 twist Parker Hale liner. Even with the faster twist barrel it shot good. All this talk got me thinking now Im trying to get it back from the guy I traded it to, who happens to be the guy that I got it from in the first place. Heck were probably going to wear it out just swaping it back and forth.

Bob