Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 AM

The 7TCU is what I use to get rid of all of the 'My buddy bought these reloads at the ginshow..' ammo that shows up on my doorstep.

I had some 223 reloads that were hot enough to knock the primers clear out of the case (if they would chamber at all) - every round ejected from an AR had no primer in it. About 300 rounds of 222 mag came frome the same garage sale...

Simply take the stem out of the TCU sizer, and shove the shoulder back on the live ammo to headspace.

Every one of those cases is now a TCU case. Some of that stuff looked like it had 21 grains of 4227 in it, but it all fired just fine. No pressure - in fact it did not really square out the shoulder corner.

B.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohica2xo View Post
The 7TCU is what I use to get rid of all of the 'My buddy bought these reloads at the ginshow..' ammo that shows up on my doorstep.

I had some 223 reloads that were hot enough to knock the primers clear out of the case (if they would chamber at all) - every round ejected from an AR had no primer in it. About 300 rounds of 222 mag came frome the same garage sale...

Simply take the stem out of the TCU sizer, and shove the shoulder back on the live ammo to headspace.

Every one of those cases is now a TCU case. Some of that stuff looked like it had 21 grains of 4227 in it, but it all fired just fine. No pressure - in fact it did not really square out the shoulder corner.

B.
You're talking about live ammo, meaning you never took the bullets out. How did you do that? Ok, so you push the 222Mag shoulder back .030". The neck is still about .250" dia. with bullet seated. The 7TCU caselength is about .090" shorter than a deuce mag. And a 6mm throat starts at .2435" which is about .006-.007" smaller than the loaded deuce mag neck. So how did you manage to squeeze .090" of .250" dia. neck into a .2435" 7TCU throat? Unless I'm missing something, there's no way one of those rounds would even come close to chambering.

Last edited by Ackman; 03-30-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Default living dangerous

Pushing live ammo into a sizing die is possibly getting a nomination for a DARWIN AWARD .

What is going to happen if for some unknow and unfortunate reason that a cartridge goes off whilst pushing a shoulder back????You now have the cartridge in a pressure vessel ... Nothing good can come of it.

Do what you want but I would wear steel underwear.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
The 7TCU caselength is about .090" shorter than a deuce mag. And a 6mm throat starts at .2435" which is about .006-.007" smaller than the loaded deuce mag neck. So how did you manage to squeeze .090" of .250" dia. neck into a .2435" 7TCU throat?
I think you lost a millimeter in there somewhere. 7TCU to 6mm throat.

Quote:
Pushing live ammo into a sizing die is possibly getting a nomination for a DARWIN AWARD .

What is going to happen if for some unknow and unfortunate reason that a cartridge goes off whilst pushing a shoulder back????You now have the cartridge in a pressure vessel ... Nothing good can come of it.
Almost the same situation happens in a bullet seating die and everyone thinks it is OK.

Bruce
Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 PM

Default seater

Just a little difference in the amount of force required to seat a bullet as to pushing back a shoulder ,but I see your point.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
I think you lost a millimeter in there somewhere. 7TCU to 6mm throat.

Almost the same situation happens in a bullet seating die and everyone thinks it is OK.

Bruce
You're absolutely right. Obviously I was missing something.....saw 7mm and thinking 6mm. Excuse me bohica.

You're also right about resizing. I don't see danger, it won't be setting off a primer.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 AM

Well If you like I can set them off in the die - I have a .875-14 bushing in a mauser action for fireforming in the sizing die. Used to be SOP in old reloading books.

Sizing a live round with the stem out of the seater is far safer than seating a bullet in a standard seating die. There is nothing in the path of the bullet in an empty sizer die.

Some people are afraid of the damnedest things.

B.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Supporting Member

B. Interesting Mauser you have. Ken Howell, in his book, mentions using short sections of barrels screwed into actions for fire forming. I thought about what you're doing but wasn't sure how a harden die would react to the mild(?) pressures of forming. Do you use the FL die or the seater die? Do you get head expansion?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohica2xo View Post
Some people are afraid of the damnedest things. B.

That's true, and you see it pretty often.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:34 PM

Ray:

Old guys like Sharpe taught me to use a die for things like fireforming. Skip Otto had a bushed mauser I made for him for the same job. He did not like to waste bullets or barrels making brass.

If you are using cornstarch or a wax bullet & a light charge for a basic fireform in the shop (to save a trip to the range) it makes life easier.

For the faint of heart, Hornady makes a "hydraulic form die" that uses water & a hammer in your press.

I use mostly sizing dies for fireforming, and do not have head expansion issues. With no barrel in front of things, you don't build much pressure. Pistol powder & cornstarch works good for most things.

B.