Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2015, 04:52 PM

Default 17 rem with 25 V Max

Has anyone tried the 25 v max on coyotes . I built a 17 rem with a Pac Nor barrel one a Sako action that shoots them extremely well. I usually use the good ole 25 gr Hornady HP on fur

Chris
Old 12-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

Cris
You should give them a try.

There is enough difference in BC to help.

Providing they are fur friendly. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:22 PM

Might work on a thin skinned fox but for coyotes stay with the h.p.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:38 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
Might work on a thin skinned fox but for coyotes stay with the h.p.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In practical hunting situations, BC doesn't really add a lot to most scenarios, unless you're talking about it on the internet....

The V-Max small caliber bullets are designed to come apart on impact on small animals. They might work on a coyote if you slip a bullet between two ribs, but clip a bone anywhere going in and you most likely will have a hand grenade surface effect on a larger animal like a coyote. Not good on fur on the ground, and sometimes you can't even catch up to the ruffled fur.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-26-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:59 AM

I have shot truck loads of coyotes with the hornady 25 gr hp . I'm not worried about them .

I was wondering anyone's experience with the 25 V max. Guess I will give it a try and give a report .

thx Chris
Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
I have shot truck loads of coyotes with the hornady 25 gr hp . I'm not worried about them .

I was wondering anyone's experience with the 25 V max. Guess I will give it a try and give a report .

thx Chris
Please keep us posted. I save hides and have had unfavorable results with tipped bullets in several calibers although I've never tried them in my 17 Rem. Berger and Hornady HPs have worked well thus far in my 17 but I'm always open to other options.

Rusty
Old 12-26-2015, 05:11 PM

I found the 25gr. Vmax's at 3,600fps were almost as explosive on Columbia Ground squirrels as 20gr. Vmax, however multiple hits were easier than with 20gr.

The 25gr. HP Hornadys are tougher, no contest.

The 25gr. Vmax's are flatter shooting by a good stroke and resist the wind the same as a .220 Swift shooting Match bullets at 4,100fps- they have the same BC. When using them, they seemed to have 1/2 the drop and 1/2 the drift. We were only shooting to about 350yard max., but in the wide winds, my crosshairs were never off the squirrels, however we were having to hold off 1" to 2" at times with 20gr.Vmaxs. My 26" .17AH Pac-Nor bl. put both loads and weights into the same group at 100 meters, so seemed a decent foundation for testing their differences in the field.

In the .17Rem, comparing HP and Vmaxs of the same weight, there would be even more difference.

I don't think they've be particularly good for hides if bone was hit close to the surface.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post

thx Chris
I know that at least one of the people who tried to tell you that the V-Max is not a good coyote bullet said it based on trying them and not having good results. I have no idea if that's true for all of them.

I've shot coyotes with the Hornady 17 caliber hp bullets since the early 1970's and they definitely work for that purpose. So does the old Remington plated hp bullet, but they are a little hard to find these days... In all that time, I've never suspected the I missed a coyote due to a poor bullet BC, but maybe I have and just didn't realize it.

I'll be watching for your report.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-26-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Supporting Member

absolutely nothing to do with this thread but FWIW years ago I shot some 20 & 25 gr vmax at the ends of my dads old 1,000 gallon underground gasoline tank the that he dug up because it rusted through (on the bottom).

I forget the details (amount of shots, how thick the metal was and every single rifle and speed that I shot) but I put a bunch of 17 caliber holes into both ends.

I was at first shocked that they pierced perfect round holes right through the tank. Every once in a while you would notice a light lead spray off to one side of the hole but I would bet most ended up inside the tank???

The same day, same 20 gr vmax load at 3800 fps took a cat at maybe 20 yards. The bullet made a tiny entrance hole and turned the insides to slush.

The 25 gr vmax will take the head cleanly off a PD at 285 yards and it's hard to find any larger fragments of the head.

I've taken a coyote with all of them, 17/20/25 vmax and had good success with little fur damage but not very many in all. If I was out hunting Yotes the vmax wouldn't be my choice for a bullet.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:57 PM

With the very small number of bullets you will shoot at Coyotes I can't imagine using anything that is not ideal for the job. My 17-204 really likes the Nagels, they are very much like the old Berger "Match" HP's that they stopped making. Larry