Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-27-2015, 09:49 PM

Default .221 Fireball opinions

Hey guys. I've been doing a huge amount of reading over the last few days and I'm not completely set on the idea of the K-Hornet. The idea of annealing, thin necks etc have put me off a bit. Along with that there's also the way that UK firearms law works. I have a slot on my FAC which allows me to buy a Fireball. I'd have to apply for a Hornet and that could take months.

So, I have the Fireball slot from when I felt the need to buy one a year or two ago. Are there any down sides to this cartridge, apart from it not being a wildcat?
Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 PM

The FB has a cult following for sure. Neat little round and the parent of the screaming 20 Vartarg. Some may say the Remington brass is the only downside, but now,others are making FB brass. My only problems have been loose primer pockets after numerous firings.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:05 PM

I think it looks good. My only real reason for leaning towards the K-Hornet was novelty factor, and that may wear off long term. It certainly did with my .17 Hornady.

I believe Lapua are producing Fireball brass now? That's going to be as good as any I'd have thought. And running it near K-Hornet pressures should help to increase it's life. Brass isn't cheap, but 200 cases should last me a long time.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Supporting Member

I've loved the .221 Fireball since I had my first XP100 in about 65. Always thought it should be great in a rifle and when I saw my first CZ 527 American in .221 I was on it like a duck on a June bug!
I love it even more now and I was right way back when, it belongs in a rifle. My working load is .3 of a grain off a max load of Accurate 1680 they show in their manual under a 40 grain V-Max or BlitzKing in weight segregated Remington cases with primer pockets uniformed and flash holes reamed with 7 1/2BR primers. That load chrono's 3,550ish FPS and shoots 1/2 inch-ish out of a stock 527. I've had no problems with primer pockets loosening nor anything else for that matter. As a tinkerer with all new weapons this is one of dang few that even I can't come up with any excuse to mess with .
I got caught up in the frenzy and bought some Lapua .221 cases a while back just cause everyone else was but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can improve on the accuracy of the cases I already have. Starting afresh, I'm sure they would save enough work on flash holes and primer pockets to make them well worth their cost.
If someone is interested in the .221 I like to post this link to Accurate's .221 data. Note the 1680 results, I and a number of posters here have had similar results to theirs. As mentioned I stopped at 20.2 grains in my loads and couldn't be more pleased!! . Great round!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/2z6xjd0.jpg
Old 12-28-2015, 02:08 AM

221FB is one of my favorite rounds. First bought a 221FB Cooper M21 in 1998 and followed that up with a CZ 527 when they were first chambered in FB in 2004. Both rifles are very accurate, but the Cooper will run in the low 0.3 MOA for 5 shots at 100yds, using RL-7 or AA2200, if I am paying attention. My loads are not absolute max , as I try to keep them safe at 100F temperatures for PDs. 40 VMAX run 3200-3350fps. Factory Remington 50gr SP clocked 2950fps in the Cooper, and ran about 0.5MOA. I have not had any issues with the primer pockets in the Remington brass, but I am not running them at the absolute maximums possible. 221FB is a great round, and I especially like 40 and 45gr bullets in it.

Last edited by TinMan; 12-28-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2015, 02:25 AM

Speaking to the original question, I'd take the Fireball in a heartbeat. Accuracy is easy to attain will all sorts of powder/primer combos, and I have R-P brass with lots 'n' lots of mileage with almost zero case loss. Also have cases made from all sorts of .222 and .223 parent brass, same results.

On the other side of the equation, I'd consider the weaker Hornet case to be the prime consideration, plus currently limited availability.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Since your in the UK, connect with Kenbro.
Believe he's had one at one time.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-28-2015, 04:16 AM

One of the best 200-yard 5-shot groups I had the pleasure of shooting was with my Cooper Varminter in 221FB - Well under .500 and still have that target and the rifle both... 19.1 of R-7 with Nosler 40BT and standard Win small primers...

RicN

When they call the roll in the Senate," "the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM

So nobody has come back with a reason not to get one.... Ok, I wasn't expecting that! Looks like I've found my calibre. Thanks guys, that was easy!

As I'm starting out with a new barrel, what twist would be ideal? I will probably settle in the 40-55gr range. I can't really be more specific unless I have to be. I really like 55gr Berger Varmint bullets as they were amazing in my .223, but worry that they may be a little heavy in the smaller case? My local dealer also has 52gr and I wonder if that could be better? I'm struggling to see why they make two bullets with only 3gr between them?! Other option would be 40gr Blitzking or V-Max if I should go lighter?

I guess it comes down to what weight the cartridge performs best with?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Supporting Member

If it was me, i`d look at the 40gr. bullets to get the velocity up.

That being said, if you are planning on building from scratch, my recommendation would be a 12 twist barrel.........Brux, Bartlein, or Krieger would fit the bill nicely.

The 12 twist will allow for the fudge factor........

Phil.