Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Supporting Member

Default What is it with some people? LONG

I finally made it to the range today, and made it a point to get there early. Had everything loaded up last night stopped for a cup of joe, and made the 80 mile one way trek. Our range has about 50 concrete benches with a corrugated overhang. Looks to be a nice morning about 45* and a very slight wind. Should be a good day to do some testing. I sent up at about bench #15, with about 5-7 benches between me and the next guy. Everything is going well, getting the scopes dialed in and breaking in the barrel. It is now mid- morning and there is about 15-20 shooters here now. Here comes a group of 4 people, no problem right..... Well they set up right next to me, Keep in mind the place is not full. A line break is called I head to my truck to get a bottle of water while they go out to set up their target at 50 yards. Commence fire is called. I settle back in to my bench. Now there is is a guy to my left shooting my M-1A with his brass landing on my bench. Nothing like a distraction when trying to shoot groups. Doesn't matter I can't see my target anyway due to the clown on my right putting his target out at 50 yards in line with my target at 100 yards. I'll just wait until the next cease fire and ask get him to move his target over. That goes over well, and everyone is back shooting. He places two boxes of ammo on the bench and I'm thinking to myself, those sure are big boxes and I noticed they are labeled .300 Weatherby. Now I know I'm in for it. He uncases his rifle a brand new Blaser with muzzle brake and Schmidt and Bender scope. I resume shooting hoping it won't be too bad. He touches one off and the concussion and muzzle blast probably pushed my little 32 grain v- max out of my killer bee over at least 3 feet. I get somewhat used to it after about 10 shots and notices his pattern I mean group at 50 yards is about 6 inches. A he didn't even bother shooting it at 100 yards, and theres no way he was going to hit any of the steel swingers out at 200-700 yards. And too think he is going to hunt elk or bear with this rifle and he can't keep them inside of 6" at 50 yards. Thats not minute of elk in my book.

What is it with some people and the lack of common sense and courtesy?

Off Rant
Michael
Old 12-03-2007, 02:37 AM

they don't know who you are.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:18 AM

That's one of those times where I wish I had a 50 in the trunk. Touch one of those off and the people next to you will learn what the blast from a muzzle brake is like.

My guess is the guy with the Blaser didn't have a clue. Most of the people I've seen with muzzle brakes don't really know what it's like to be next to one. My guess is that he'll wind up like my brother-in-law. He'll get excited when he sees an elk and start letting fly before he gets his ear protection in. My brother-in-law is now deaf in one ear from two shots out of his 7 UM with no ear protection.

The M1-A shooter has no excuse.

robert
Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 AM

Ric and I are just known as the "grumpy old farts" and unless you are shooting an old classic Winchester or small caliber you better not sit next to us. If they don't know they get a quick education.

Last edited by jim barker; 12-03-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Been there

A little over a year ago I had my TAC 20 at the range for the first time. We have 22 benches. It isn't crowded and 4 came in and setup on the two bench on either side of me. To my left a guy with an AR who for some reason wouldn't use the brass catcher that our club provides (large frames with wire you can place next to the bench). The guy on my right with a 338 win mag and muzzle brake.

I sat out the next round of shooting following that target check. When I went back out there was .223 brass all over my position. When the next round of fire started I noticed the guy next to me had been using one of my targets for sighters it appeared.

I had brought another gun along that I hadn't planned on shoothing unless there weren't many people shooting close to me. So I went to the truck an got it. After 5 shots from my muzzle braked 378 Weatherby the two benches to either side of me emptied. There is some justice in the world on given days.

Last edited by Oleman; 12-03-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 AM

Default I know those people, even when they are not shooters.

I have a long truck that takes a lot of room to turn, so when I need to park at a big box store and load something in the back, I park way out. No cars around. Most of the time when I come out there will be a car nose-to-nose with my truck, forcing me to make a low visibility sharp turn in reverse into traffic to get out.

If I don't need access to the back, I pull through to the next space forward so I can leave without reversing. Park way out-no cars around again. But when leaving, there will be a car on one or two sides.

Bruce
Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Michael, just ask any of the guys that work in gun shops, how many of their customers have the shop bore sight their rifle and go hunting without firing a shot to check zero. had guys do it all the time in Colorado, they were the same guys that would come in and ask for a pair of running shoes for a Christmas present for their wife. when ask what size, they would say "any size will do" she can bring them back and get the right size.

sold a guy a remington 700 7 mag, he wanted a 50 mm leupold on it but we had just sold out of high rings, he didn't want to drive to elpaso to get a set and wouldn't wait for us to order them. he borrowed a file and proceeded to file the barrel down until the scope would fit, hey i saw that cring and heard your teeth clinch.

what is even scarier is a guy that brings his 12 year old shooting at the range and doesn't teach him safety or etiquette, seen a many a kid pointing a gun up and down the benches rather than down range, several of us politely but firmly ask them to leave.

now do you really want to get scared, in mew Mexico we had four (to be politically correct) undocumented workers from south of the border get out of their vehicle with rifles and beer in hand, then one of them went down to the 50 yard line and stood 5 feet from the target so he could tell his amigo where the bullet was hitting on the target, scary.

one neophyte next to me touched off a 270 Winchester in his brand new 270 weatherby, followers and floor plates were flying everywhere. he owned several car dealerships in town but wouldn't pay the 38.00 for a box of ammo at the gun shop, he went into Wal-Mart and bought a box of 270 Winchester for 14.99 instead.

and the stories could go on and on.

Last edited by foxhunter; 12-03-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Supporting Member

Michael, I can understand you getting angry, but you may have missed what caused this chain of events. Yep the killer bee, I have it on reliable authority that this is happening everywhere the K.B. appears. In an effort to strengthen our international relations I am prepaired to take it off your hands at a fair price. Now dont get all misty on me I am sure there are other members here who would help out also

johno
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 AM

Michael:

I always bring equipment to the range for dealing with a rude neighbor - like an 8" 223 pistol, with a side ported muzzle brake you can pass a quarter through. Back way up on the bench, and see if you can blow their hat off.

Many years ago, I had the reverse situation happen at Fish Canyon. I was shooting a FAL, and an AR. At the line break, with 50 open benches a guy begins to set up his chronograph in front of the bench to my right. The benchrest is next, followed by a Stolle action bench gun of some sort.

I pointed out the fact that he would be ducking brass, and heard all about how I should not "have that kind of hardware" on his range...

I really hate going to a public range. Driving 80 miles to use one would really suck.

B.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Our nearest public range is way up in the mountains, and I mean it is back in there. Ours has the corrugated roofing that reflects the sound back on you, plus it is in a hollow that echos and it is loud in my book with anything more than a 22lr. I was having a nice day there, I was on one end and two others on the other. Some guber sets up right beside me with a full auto AK. I wear foam ear plugs inside muffs and it was deafening. I walked back to my truck and stood there, after he fired the second magazine and was reloading, I quietly walked back to my bench and sat down. While he was loading the mags, I looked at him and very quietly said, "Thats a full auto AK, its been a long time. I don't know that I would shoot that thing here, one of the vets here is liable to have flash backs and shoot you for a vc." I never cracked a smile and gave him a blank stare for a second and then turned and went back to shooting as if I had never spoken to him. He may have shot it again that day, but I bet no one was around when he did it!

Qaz