Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Supporting Member

Default I've got a question or 2?

I like Pro-Shot SS cleaning rods and they finally came out with a rod for the .20 cal. I ordered two and when I got them the jag that comes with the rod is a .17 cal jag which is smaller in diameter than the rod where they mate up, which leaves as you might suspect, a nice sharp edge. I thought this was wrong and emailed Pro-Shot. I got an email back saying that as long as I used a bore guide there would be no problem and they didn't want the problem of somebody trying to shove a .20 cal jag down the bore of a .17 cal. Now a few years ago when the .20 cal thing took off I bought a couple of coated Dewey rods which I had pretty much the same thing and the coating peeled. Dewey at first blamed it on the coating and sent me new rods, which also peeled, then they tapered the end of the rod to mate up with the jag.

Am I wrong or is Pro-Shot wrong?

And I use a Lucas bore guide.

Thanks, Tom
Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 AM

I would say they are wrong. My .17 cal jags have a little bevel where it meets the rod, and the rod is the same size as the jag. I don't have a 20 cal, so I don't know what size the jag threads are for a .20 cal. The .17 cal jag threads are smaller than for a .22 cal jag, and fit in the rod differently with a little sholder so the threads don't break off. If jags on a real .20 cal jag are correct for your rod then I guess it would be a cheap fix to just buy a proper jag. Larry
Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 AM
Supporting Member

I’m with Larry on this one… Plus I don’t get there logic as to the reason you got a .17 cal jag with a .20 cal rod for a .20 cal rifle. If there afraid someone will stick a 20 cal jag in a 17 cal bore then what would keep that same someone from sticking a 20 cal rod in a 17 cal bore. Did that make since?

Also no rod guide is perfect (at least that I have found) but Lucas is one of the best IMHO but I still wouldn’t want that ledge sticking out there looking for an opportunity to snag a land or two.

I don’t own a 20 anything yet either but I believe the 17 & 20 jags have the same thread size so shouldn’t be a problem putting a .20 cal jag on it. Another phone call to the rod maker should confirm that.
If all else fails a little careful stoning of the rod would take care of the edge. I use to stone the edges of all my jointed rods before I got smart and bought one piece rods.
Larry
Old 12-14-2007, 05:38 PM

The first place a new Pro Shot rod goes in my shop is to the the buffing wheel.

I break that nice sharp edge at the business end of the rod, usually a .005 radius is enough.

In this case, keep enlarging the radius until it meets the base diameter of the jag when it is installed - it should not take much. Just get rid of the step.

B.