Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Default Chronograph

Is a cronograph needed for accurate reloading? If not is there a way of figureing out the speed of the bullet without one? Periodically, i see posts that read "I am getting some where around ___fps"

Qaz
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM

Q,

IMHO , a quality chronograph and wind flags are the 2 things I would not be w/out when loading for precision accuracy !

Most barrels have an "accuracy node" where groups are at their smallest for a given velocity. If you don't have a chronograph, you have no clue where the accuracy node is. You're just guessing based on powder charges. W/out wind flags, how does one know how accurate his/her rifle can be ?

If your on a budget, a surveyors stake and flagging will work as a wind flag. I use 4 flags at 100 yds , and 6 flags at 200 yds for load development.

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM

One of the primary reasons I have a chronograph is to check my work. I do most of my loading by volume and a chronograph allows me to ensure that my loads for a given batch are generally in line with velocity numbers for published load data.

Software like Quickload will model loads and velocities and I am considering picking that up for Wildcat load development purposes (it will cost you as much as a chrono).

-Bill

Last edited by wblodgett; 01-30-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 AM

like American Express, don't leave home without it, or in this case don't shoot without one. a chronograph is the one thing I won't do without, the loading manual may tell you a load is supposed to be doing XXXX fps, when you chronograph the load the load could be 200 fps slower or faster.
a chronograph will also tell you when you are getting into trouble pressure wise, and eliminate weak-slow load you don't want to use anyway. a good chronograph will tell you what your extreme spread is, a load with 60-70 fps may shoot ok at 100 but vertically string at 200-300 yds.
with some cartridges the loads will progress along just fine and then out of nowhere you will see a velocity drop. this is the point where the bullet, powder charge and barrel length are belond efficiency, to continue adding powder to regain the loss velocity could be disastrous with a sudden pressure spike.

to answer your question, yes you can shoot accurate groups without a chronograph, read your reloading manual and pay very close attention to pressure warning signs and stop when they appear.

OF
Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 AM

Post Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Is a cronograph needed for accurate reloading? If not is there a way of figureing out the speed of the bullet without one? Periodically, i see posts that read "I am getting some where around ___fps"

Qaz
That's almost like I'm a little pregnant.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

IF you've never used one, you don't have a clue of what your loads are doing.
One thing I learned from that sorry POS Chrony I had: I sure didn't know what I was talking about, (still true I'm sure) and had no idea what my loads were doing.

Getting one and comparing what you "know" and the facts of the matter is a whole new education, count on that part when you do get one.

A couple suggestions: anytime your whole system is setting in front of the muzzle, it's only a matter of time before you shoot it, or someone else does for you. Ask me how I know that!! A patch from a m/l will destroy one, same as powder granule's, or a bullet will.
Do NOT use those wire's to hold the diffusers up except to measure the length of wood dowels the same dia. You can get four per stick that costs about a dime-twenty cents each. Shoot one of them, all you have to do is replace the stick. Hit a wire, and you'll do that before long too. And it will also destroy the works. All these WILL void your warranty. You can guess why I say that too.

Lack of funds, too many projects and life's happenings have kept me from replacing it, but, know for a fact I fully intend to, but, it sure won't be another POS Chrony either.

The man that invented them should know best, then PACT, and/or a few others may also. but yes, you DO need one to know what you're doing with reloads. Like has been said above, IF you know what it's telling you. You can do a much better job of sorting things out and knowing what's going on with your loads.

Wish you well,

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM

George:

Not much suprises Ken Oheler anymore, but he was impressed with the effect a 40mm grenade has on a skyscreen... It actually took a half-moon "bite" out of all 3 screens, right down to the window. They still work just fine.

A 99 dollar chronograph is better than none at all, but it IS downrange equipment.

B.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to GLShooter

I have a CED Millennium and I never leave home without when I am developing a load.

I started with one of the old Oehler Modal 12's with the twister base 8 dial. It still works and I would not hesitate to use it. The screen holder was a pain at first but we got that one nailed. i will be giving it to my stepson as the PACT stays with me!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

downrange equipment like that is intended for only one purpose
IMOP.
To get richer by selling more of 'em to guys that shoot 'em.

You're right, even one of them is much better than none.
Wish I had one right now in fact so I could get a reading on
these 17'x28's.

Could do that in the shop too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 AM

A chronograph to measure velocity and do those statistical numbers. A caliper to measure group size. A notebook or computer to record the data. All part of my load development equipment.

Calaveras County, California, USA