Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default SHOT Show report?

Inquiring minds want to know what's new, especially as it pertains to small caliber addictions...

Any attendees have an update?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Supporting Member

Remington M7 predator. thumbs up

Remington VTR: thumbs down

Springfield Armory EMP: Thumbs up

PTG: is making bottom metal and a detachable magazine along with firing pin assembles

Sako A7 looks no different than the previous offerings

Got to look at Perrazzi 4 gun sets (12-20-28-410) going for $480K.

The LEO/ Tactical area of the show was way too crowded, and not of much interest to me.

Found an electric 4WD 4- wheeler I'd like to have.

Spoke to Fox-Pro people and need to buy a Scorpion caller to replace my older 8 call model.

Did see Ryan Klesko who I went to HS with who plays for the Padres and Barry Bonds, and Cold Stone Steve Austin and who could forget The Nuge who was on hand too.

The 10 Minute deer skinner was real cool, and would work in plains areas where you could get a vehicle close to your deer. But that would not work in areas of thick forest or deserts due to access

Barnes has no intention of making any Non-Lead- 17 or 20 caliber bullets in the forseeable future.

Michael

Last edited by Mntngoat; 02-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Michael
How thumbs up was the model 7? - is there a big brown box headed your way type thumbs up
Looking at the picture i think that they would be pretty sweet wee walk about rifle for on the hill.

Murray
Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Supporting Member

Not brown box coming this way but if I was looking for a walking about type repeating rifle for calling I'd order one up!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Overwhelming!
I guess I was expecting more "cutting edge" stuff on display; some cool R&D stuff maybe but it was nothing like that. It was neat to see EVERYTHING a company makes, almost to the point that it was too much to remember and keep track of.
I liked some of the displays that showed manufacturing steps and component details. I got a lot of ideas of how to build stuff, valuable information for hobby machinist like myself. Got to see a lot of guns that otherwise I would never be tempted to look at like the top end Steyr stuff and the Perazzi goodies.
I agree on the Rem VTR, the triangle barrel is OK looking in real life but basically a gimmick. Kind of future looking barrel on an otherwise conventional looking rifle, not my taste but I'm sure it will sell.
I agree with Michael, the Tactical area was total "AR Overload". I like them, own one and shoot one but how many ways can you fry an egg?
Seemed to be a lot of reproduction old western rifles available now, Charles Daly had a nice display of what seemed to be small frame Sharps rifles? Nice triggers and good looking guns, not sure what the prices would be but looked real pretty.
T/C Icon is a nice looking gun, really smooth and nice trigger. A bit heavy but didn't feel out of balance, I thought it felt pretty solid and well made.
I couldn't get any info out of the bullet makers at all about 17 or 20's, all those guys are bums. Hornady has a progressive loader that looks real solid and well built, if I didn't already own a couple I'd buy one if it was significantly less than a Dillon. The RCBS progressive was not as impressive.
Overall I would have to say I didn't see that there was anything particularly "new" at the show.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM

never been to the show but would my LEO status qualify me for an attendee?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-rigger View Post
never been to the show but would my LEO status qualify me for an attendee?
Technically no, as admittance is linked to a FFL holder, or a business with a tax ID indicating their link to the industry.
I have gone several times as a "salesman" for my friendly local gun store

Greg
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM

gotcha. double *wink*
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Supporting Member

Actually there were quite a few people I saw whose badges said Blah Blah county sheriff or PD on it. It's not real hard to gain access to be admitted.

ML
Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM

hmm....i was always under the impression that the whole show was concealed under a veil of secrecy and strict admittance to help keep disuade the antis. at any rate, i'll give it a go when it comes around to the west again.