Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs down Ruger 22-250

Been to busy but tonight I got home early and the wind was down so I got out a riffle that a friend gave me to sight in for him (beginning of January)....

This is a brand new Ruger 22-250 with a SS pencil barrel and a plastic stock using Federal 55 gr V- Shocks that he supplied (which ran just a few FPS slower than listed on the box)… It has silver Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 and really is a nice looking riffle with a neat Ruger emblem on the floor plate.

Got it on paper at 100 yards right away but it was all over the place, cleaned after 10 shots and on the last 4 shots the first two hit side by side dead on (finally), the next one was 1” high and ¾ left (I might have pulled?) and the last went darn near 2” high…. I think it may be the damn plastic stock??? The CZs have really spoiled me…

Maybe it was just the guy pulling the trigger???
Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Could Be the Ammo?

Gary,
Before you pull your hair out, load up a few rounds yourself.....just to prove consistency.....if that doesn't help, advise him to get a CZ or a Tikka and not to fight the Ruger....you are right, the CZ's have spoiled us (like the Remington's did in the 60's)...and also the Tikka's......just my 2 cents worth...steve
Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Gary

the last Ruger barrels I put the scope to looked like the rifling button chattered, all the way down the barrel. Thats the best I can descripe it not knowing the right tech words. 40 bottles of JB would not have fixed the barrels I saw. Life is just too short to be Rugerized.
Brooks
Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM

Default "Rugerized"

Brooks,
I really like that terminology........and you are right....life is in fact "too short" to have to put up with bad barrels.....steve
Old 03-29-2008, 10:45 PM

[quote=Brooks;30098]the last Ruger barrels I put the scope to looked like the rifling button chattered, all the way down the barrel.

I believe Ruger hammer forges their barrels. Below is a link to several illustrations that may explain why the Ruger barrel looked as it did through your bore scope.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN
Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Default My mistake

but the barrels were scoped because none---none of them did shot better than 1.5 inches and believe me, I did some of that load development and bedding till I was blue in the face. Ruger #1's, 77/22's, 243 and a number of 25-06's in the 77 and all of them were hopeless. For deer sized game they probably all were usable but for our kind of hunting they were boat anchors at best. Again, just my take but the frustration was too much and by the way that was back when one could buy a Remington that would really shoot. Since then everything I shoot is either a Cooper or custom.
Good site on the barrel process but maybe their barrels are just crocked.
Brooks
Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 PM

The words "ruger" and "high power rifle barrel" are mutually exclusive. They manage to make an OK .22rf

I had a #1 with a .257 bore jack handle installed. It would not shoot, and everybody tried. I set it back, and recut it, crowned it, etc. Finally someone asked if it was just "big" in the bore? I cut off a fired case, stuffed a pure lead slug in the neck, chambered it and started to push it through the bore...

It got easier in an inch or so, and it practically fell out of the muzzle. Tapered bore. The wrong direction. A slug from an inch past the throat was .002 smaller than one from the muzzle.

B.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Supporting Member

Default rugers

I have had several Rugers, and I love the lines of the #1, but the only one I have had that would shoot better than minute of deer had a custom barrel on it. I had a #1 in 218 bee that I finally had to sell, after putting in a lot of time and quite a bit of money. On reflection I probably should have just had it rebarreled, but I was so frustrated I couldn't look at it any more. I have avoided Rugers since, and anytime I get tempted by a #1, I just think about that Bee.

Drew
Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Supporting Member

Default Guys, guys,,,,Rugers,,,

You just didn't read the FINE PRINT. Those are PACKING RODS. They hold the stock and action in place only long enough for shipping and to keep crud and debris out of the action threads. Some thing has to hold the open sights [if so equipped] until you get a BARREL on the thing.
Ruger fans don't let other Ruger fans shoot Ruger 'packing rods'. It's only there to show you what the final rifle will look like when it has a BARREL.

one more time,,,,,and showing a SHILEN where the packing rod was{250 Savage AI}:

Just for the record, I HAVE had a few Ruger barrels SHOOT well. One a .358 Win 77R, and an early .270 in 77R. That's about it, though.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 03-30-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the advise (well taken)... Not that I meant to start a Ruger Bash, just frustrated how such a nice looking riffle could shoot so rotten with Federal Premium ammo (not that I would know anything about factory ammo)

The barrel had a tight/rough spot for the first 4" or so??? Figure there was not much to lose so I gave it 20 strokes of JB and loaded up 20 rounds of ammo with my oldest cheapest components, IMR 420 and Hornady 55 SPXs and CCI primers. The lot of powder must be ssslllloooowwww, it was running about 400 fps slower than a reloading manuals max load...

Very windy but it looked like it wanted to shoot and it cleaned up with very little copper fouling this time... That factory Fed/ammo was some pretty warm loads at around 3650 fps.

I am washing my hands of it, will tell him to shoot a 100 rounds through it and clean every 15-20 shots and see if it ever breaks in to shoot better..

FWIW I have some 77/hornets and rimfires and a #1 218 bee that I really enjoy shooting. They all took a certain amount of tinkering and at the time the pain was well worth the results. I think Ruger has some of the coolest riffles, most well built just wish they would shoot like a CZ (or Cooper) out of the box...