Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-18-2011, 01:06 AM

Default Chucks & beans

If there is anything chucks like better than alfalfa it has to be beans. They can really do some damage. And I'm doing everything I can to slow them down. I saw seven tonight and got 6 the longest was at 227 yards, I hit him just behind the shoulder and it went right though, it didn't open up just a blood spot.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 AM

You're on a roll PA ! 3 years ago we had to replant 12 rows along the creek, dang chucks slaughtered my beans in just 2 days. Fixed them for good with my .243 but not before they did a lot of damage.....when the plants are little they can be devastating.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 AM

Default Doing my job for the farmers too

Here are the last three I shot with the 17AH using the 20G V-Max. The longest shot was 153 yards. I went with all head shots till I switch back to my 25g V-Max load after my prairie dog shoot. These three make a total of 21 from a 40 acre field. Bob what bullet are you using for your 17AH that is your 17AH in the photo. If the 20 V-Max were you having the same problem with me with penetration. On average it seemed about every tenth hog shot would not stay down.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 AM

Know what you mean: groundhogs can create "browse lines" along the borders of bean fields just like deer. This year, due to heavy spring rains, farmers in this area got their beans in late. Now with a slow-growth start, we should be able to see holes opening up around dens in fields, leaving the hungry 'hogs - and their new families - exposed for a longer time; might be a good hunting year after all. Today at work I counted 9 of the little buggers at once feeding in the 17-acre field nearby. Some days it's almost more than a dedicated groundhog hunter can stand.
Nice rifle and scope combo.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Default 20 gr V-MAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrdhgKiller View Post
Here are the last three I shot with the 17AH using the 20G V-Max. The longest shot was 153 yards. I went with all head shots till I switch back to my 25g V-Max load after my prairie dog shoot. These three make a total of 21 from a 40 acre field. Bob what bullet are you using for your 17AH that is your 17AH in the photo. If the 20 V-Max were you having the same problem with me with penetration. On average it seemed about every tenth hog shot would not stay down.

I've always used the 20gr V-MAX, if I do my part they don't run, its like any other animal bullet placement is paramount. I tried the 25 gr V-MAX at the range and didn't have any luck.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Compliment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyYates View Post
Know what you mean: groundhogs can create "browse lines" along the borders of bean fields just like deer. This year, due to heavy spring rains, farmers in this area got their beans in late. Now with a slow-growth start, we should be able to see holes opening up around dens in fields, leaving the hungry 'hogs - and their new families - exposed for a longer time; might be a good hunting year after all. Today at work I counted 9 of the little buggers at once feeding in the 17-acre field nearby. Some days it's almost more than a dedicated groundhog hunter can stand.
Nice rifle and scope combo.
Thank you for the compliment on the gun, I have less the 20 rounds left for it and when they are gone I'm going to clean it up and put it up for sale, rifle, dies & brass. I've got some other projects I'd like to pursue and this will a bargain for some one. Bob