Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2015, 09:44 PM

Default 17 Fireball from Lapua 221 Fireball Brass

Hi Everyone,

I have a 50 rounds of new 221 Remington and 100 rounds of new Lapua 221 Brass. My intent was to use Redding form dies to resize the brass to 17 Fireball. In reading on the forum, I see that resizing and fireforming 221 brass to 17 FB results in a shorter OAL by 0.020 to 0.015. I am wondering is this enough difference to worry about? Or is this something that won't cause any real problems? Those who have done this conversion were happy with it? I realize I may have to turn necks and ream in the inside of the neck.

thank you for your insight. I have the form dies so I feel I am committed to going this route as I can't find 17 Fireball Brass anywhere in Canada.

thanks,

gopher_Getter
Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Default 17FB fom Lapua

Take, say 5, of them and see how they turn out and reload and shoot them a few times and see how they work for you. Really can see how it will matter than much. Bill K
Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default nope

Won't make a lick of difference, just means you won't be trimming anytime soon.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

What Chuck said +1 .
Over the years with various wildcats I've gotten the OAL to close to finished final length in forming and when fire-formed they were way short (Yes I'm a slow learner ). Still and all if there was an accuracy difference I sure couldn't shoot well enough to find it. I do like the not trimming for near ever aspect of my mistakes .
Coincidentally, a couple times those mistakes happened fireforming .17 MachIV cases. Some of em I've never trimmed.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 PM

Default forming 17 FB

Before you do anything measure the new brass so you have a reference point to go back to. Measure head diameter of the new cases and case length ans also measure neck thickness. Next measure the chamber length of your rifle so you know where you need to be. And like Bill K says take 5 cases form them and even fireform them and see how it all works out before you do the whole lot. Great advice Bill!

Last edited by L Cazador; 03-04-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Supporting Member

Yeah Bill, great advise! Where were you all those years ago when I needed a whole bunch of cases for p-dog'n and I'd end up with 200 or 300 of em .020 short .
Just kidding, I worked a lotta hours back then and it seemed I was always in a rush . Course that was pre-2000 and the start up of this website, precious few sources for small caliber knowledge back then.
Great advise to be sure!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 PM

Default 17 FB from Lapua

A long time ago, like some of you I would load up a 100 or so case's, then find out very quickly they did not work, for beans. A older party, then, told me, Hey Kid why not try 5-6 before you go to all that. So since then that is what I do. It was good advice and I always remembered it. Also have passed it on, on more than one occasion. We learn, most of the time, not to get caught with our pants down... Bill K
Old 03-27-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_getter View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a 50 rounds of new 221 Remington and 100 rounds of new Lapua 221 Brass. My intent was to use Redding form dies to resize the brass to 17 Fireball. In reading on the forum, I see that resizing and fireforming 221 brass to 17 FB results in a shorter OAL by 0.020 to 0.015. I am wondering is this enough difference to worry about? Or is this something that won't cause any real problems? Those who have done this conversion were happy with it? I realize I may have to turn necks and ream in the inside of the neck.

thank you for your insight. I have the form dies so I feel I am committed to going this route as I can't find 17 Fireball Brass anywhere in Canada.

thanks,

gopher_Getter

I'd really like to know what your neck diameter is when you're done.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

I just finished a batch.
I like to thin the necks while in the 221 dimension, about .012.
After that I squeeze in three steps with a neck bushing die, until I can FL size to 17FB, anneal, turn again, and trim.
I've always used LC brass, so my method may be too short for your use.

Trying 5 is a great idea!

Jim
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM

Darn, i really wanted to see if this brass, simply necked down, would fit in my fb chamber, which has a .202 neck.