Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 AM
Supporting Member

You might be better off to sell your single shotgun and buy new.

By the time you pay a gun butcher to do it for you and wind up with a gun

of questional value.

Buy a new single rifle of maybe a bolt action with the same or less money.

Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM

I think your right Kenny

I did dig deeper to understand the concept and it most likely wouldn't be worth the effort or money. There is just something about shrinking that .22 hornet case down smaller and smaller that interests me.

How about a 222 rem?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:58 PM

The nicest conversion I ever did was from a Rossi Youth 22/410 combo rifle. I stubbed the shotgun barrel to a 22 Hornet, worked really well, ended up with about a 4 pound rifle. Larry
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member

I will have to go with Larry on this one. I did the little Rossi into a 218 Mashburn Bee. Basicly the barrel had gotten messed up when it was cut to small for intended purpose so I stubbed it into the Rossi 410 barrel. Turned out to be a real good shooter. Ok, not a sub moa rifle but it gets its fair share of vermin around here and has been a trip or two for PDs. I would not say stubbing is for everyone but, my stubbing began as way to try and salvage both barrels and unused shotguns. I do set mine up with extractors rather than ejectors because I don't like chasing brass. Besides if I need a fast second shot I should have been using something else. For a guy with a lathe in a garage with limited (but growing) machining skills I feel that the stubbing is helping me learn both machining and smithing.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:44 PM

I love the idea of this stubbing talk but I don't have the proper machines to do it myself. Not a fan of shotguns, rather it be a rifle.. The extractor is a must IMO as even on my bolts I am careful about putting my hand over the opening to collect the case.

If I understand stubbing properly- You cut the shotgun barrel off just beyong the hinge point then thread the inside of the remaining barrel to accept a threaded barrel?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 PM

After doing a few dozen, I found the easiest way is to bore the chamber through about 3 or 4 inches at around .650 or .700. Turn the barrel you want so it has a shoulder on it at the end of the stub. Now bore the breach end about .100 larger 3/4 of an inch in, thread just the first 3/4 inch of the barrel at the breach end and make a barrel nut (round threaded sleeve) to screw on and fit in the counter bored portion of the stub. Leave everything about .100 long. I coat everything with JB weld and screw it all together and tighten it up. Machine the barrel and nut breach end flush with the stub breach, cut the ejector slot, blend the front of the stub to the barrel and you are all set. Larry