Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Default Rem 592M 5mm Mag

Stumbled on to a 592M @ a local gun store yesterday. Would rate the overall condition as good. Bore was so dirty that I couldn't tell it's condition. No parts missing & bluing on bolt shows hardly any wear. Thinking about going back & clean the bore to inspect & make an offer. Their asking price is $395, but I've seen them listed on the web from $250 to $600 in roughly the same condition. Now that ammo is available has that increased or decreased the market value & what are your opinions. All I need is a slight push to go back & buy it. Can't imagine a rimfire could hurt the bore. What say you?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rem 5mm's

I guess the prices are a lot higher up there, they go for 150-175.00 in that condition down here. Really nice ones go for a little over 200. I picked up the clip fed model last year and spent 3 days getting the bore clean, paid 150.00 for it at Market Hall in Dallas. My intent was to do a centerfire conversion, ended up selling it for what I paid to a friend, who dropped 350.00 into it for the dies/bullets/conversion cost. End result was a rifle that shoots right around 2" at 100yd's, trip down the bore told the story. You can clean it until it's spotless but that has no effect on a lower that average quality barrel. I think they are hit or miss, some guys have success with them, alot of them end up for sale. I would agree with you on the bore, if it's not rusty it should be fine. Mine you couldn't see through it because of the dirt and crud but with some serious elbow work it came around.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 06-07-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 PM

I have used advanced scientific statistical calculations to determine you have a 50% chance of having a decent shooter.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned

Default 5mm

Remington 5mms are light weight 5 1/2 pound plinking rifles. Nice for picking of chucks in the garden or other varmints out to 125 yds. thats all Remington ever wanted out of those rifles. Most of them would average 2 to 3" at 100yds. and thats good enough. Go to Varminter .com bunch of old articles on the 5mms.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM

Went back & ran one dry patch thru the bore & it was like a mirror. Must have been just dust. Took it home & it cleaned up with about 10 patches & about 5 strokes with a bore brush. Couldn't get anymore out of it. After going thru it & looking it over inside & out, I doubt if it has had a box of shells fired thru it. Ammo will be here Monday. Guess I'll find out the truth then. Going to make it my raccoon/skunk terminator for around the farmstead. Had a varmint light that mounts on the scope that was looking for the perfect match. Report how it shoots as soon as I can pull the trigger. BTW, trigger is a little heavy & doesn't appear to be adjustable. Any tips on lightening it?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM

Hope your 592 shoots better than the one I used to own. I did have Bob Green work on my trigger. He was able to get the 5 to 6 lb. trigger pull down to 2 lbs.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Supporting Member

I bought a 592 new in the shop when they came out and maybe I got lucky but it shot better than some are describing by quite a bit.
I do remember that I received a factory recall on it that was worded fairly serious as memory serves so with ammo getting tough to find and expensive anyway I took the rifle and recall notice back to the shop and traded it on a High Standard .22 pistol. I mention that only because of the recall. I'd call Remington and see what that was and make sure it has been done to the rifle if needed. Also, having seen the ammo disappear once already if ya like it I'd stock up cause it sure wouldn't surprise me to see it go bye-bye once again due to what seems like minimal interest in it's revival.
Just my 2 cents .
Old 06-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Banned

Default 5mm

The recall was over the extractor problems. Remington never could get right. Rifles only lasted about 3 years I think around 50,000 made. I had one of the recall rifles it never went back to factory, gave it to a buddy he pulled the bolt out of it gave to his kids to play with!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:57 AM

Thanks all for your input & insight. Reason I got it was I had a friend (years ago) that let me shoot his with (at the time) very expensive collector ammo. I thought it was about the coolest rimfire round I had ever shot. Rumor has it that CZ is thinking about chambering their rimfire for it. If the gun makers had any semblance of a brain they would catch on. Look what the 17 HMR did with just marketing without any real performance advantage over the 22 Mag, now that the 22 Mag is offered with new bullet technology & powders. With 50,000 plus 591's & 592's & 30,000 TC barrels out there it seems that the ammo sales for Aguila are brisk. 3 bricks would last me longer than I will live & then my son could shoot the rest. It beats the 22 Mag & the 17 HMR (which I think is a joke for anything larger than a squirrel) all day long. I think a quality rimfire rifle chambered for it ( unlike the sub standard Rem) would sell very well. If I had another option I sure wouldn't buy a Rem. Chuck, do you think the Sako 72's, 75's & 78's could handle the extra pressure of the 5mm? Might be an interesting conversion!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:34 AM

Default 5mm Accuracy

I have two of the 591s and they will both shoot well under an inch at 100 yds. with my handloads. Factory ammo performance depends on "lot" number. The original Remington HPPL ammo would shoot around 1" to
1.25". Of course, I did a good bit of work on the bedding, trigger and replaced the secondary extractor with one from Steve Schroeder but they have the original barrels. I had never heard of a recall on them. They're just a "hoot to shoot".
Bob

Last edited by Bambob; 06-09-2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: change word