Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Default Hornady 22 Hornet Brass Formed to 17AH

Sense I can not find any New Winchester 22 Hornet Brass for my 17 "Ackley Hornet", with the Hornady 22 Hornet (Not 17HH)brass availability, has anyone tried forming the Hornady "22 Hornet Brass" into 17AH? Any issues? Some believe that the Winchester 22 Hornet when formed to 17 "Ackley" Hornet is a far better case (more times being fired in the gun before the neck splits) than the Remington 22 Hornet cases.

Science has found that insanity is hereditary - parents get it from their children.

Last edited by Russell; 07-03-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: I'm talking 17 Ackley Hornet not the 17HH.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Funnily enough a friend of a friend brought a brand new CZ527 in 17HH over to my place this week to set it up.

We compared cases with my semi custom 17AH, also on a CZ527 but built maybe 10 years ago now.

The AH case was maybe 1/4 inch longer and parallel where the HH case was slightly tapered.

I tried a 17HH loaded factory round in my 17AH, but it would not chamber, the HH case was wider about 1/4 inch up from the rim.

I appreciate the AH chambers may vary slightly and others may say they do fit but not in my rifle.

I did order a batch of brass from RWS recently, this took 3 weeks to arrive Germany, there was a bulk order going in from the folk here as well. Looking at both cases then I think that trying to get HH brass to fireform in an AH chamber even if it did chamber must lead to some very thin brass. I would suggest that you get your hands on RWS or WW brass.

A

Having re read your post I think I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick so to speak. Hornady 22 brass then I cant see why it should not work being necked down to 17AH, I anneal before forming though. Done 200 and the only ones I lost were due to using the wrong height case holder in the final reform stage, faffed 2 up before I worked out the problem.

Some anneal after forming, but no anneal and your case life will be very limited.

A

Last edited by Alycidon; 07-03-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:58 AM

There is a sticky at the top of the reloading page for this.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:35 PM

All my 17A/H brass is reformed 22Hornet brass some once fired as 22H others new batch of 22H cases i use a three piece Redding die set once formed very carefully so you get a tight fit on chambering to stop headspace problems after die forming i anneal the neck AND shoulder to fire form using a normal load after the first fireing i adjust my F/L die to only resize the part of the neck that holds the bullet this stops any knock back of the shoulder a main reason that hornet cses seperate.
Take note of the capacities of different cases as below

cases reformed to my chamber and capacity measured with H 380 powder

RWS 13.9GR
HDY 14.1GR
WW 14.2GR
PPU 14.5GR
REM 15.2GR

i only use REM or WW capacity difference is very slight with the WW about 50ft/sec faster than the REM i use 11gr of the current batch of 120 powder ever batch of thes powder varies my gun likes 3.650/3.700ft sec with 20 hp bergers i get over 10 re-loads per case i have stoped counting now but i re anneal after 5 fireings and never get a split case or neck.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Default Hornady 22 Hornet Brass Formed to 17AH

Exactly what I needed. Thanks Wally.