Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 PM

Default opinion of .17 Velociraptor for my needs

hello guys, been lurking here for a year or so and been researching for a future build.

one that has really caught my interest is the .17 Velociraptor. I have 300+ 5.7 cases, 18lbs of 1680 and lots o primers so the only real cost would be bullets and the hard parts. I owned a 17 hmr years back and enjoyed it and a muscled up version sounds great.

I plan on using the rifle for ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and coyote's as well as a plinker from time to time. I have a savage model 10 action that i'm using for a switch barrel rifle and I see PT&G makes a bolt face for the 5.7 so that sets me in the right direction. not to concerned about it being a repeater single feed is fine if I cant figure out a mag solution. thinking a 1:9 barrel

20gr v-max will be the bullet of choice unless they release the 17gr. what kind of barrel life are we talking?

the 17 predator sounds mean but I'm assuming it's a barrel burner? what kind of life with 30 golds? or the 17 tactical for that matter

now my other question is I'm getting a .223ai barrel soon (1:8 twist and throated for 75gr a-max at 2.45+) as a 1000yd economy shooter. with a long throated rifle and fast twist I don't think it will handle 40gr v-maxes. what do you guys feel? I could possibly be happy if the .223ai would work with both loads. how fast are you guys pushing .223 ai's with 40gr bullets?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 PM

I will tell you the case is hard to work with, the primer is so close to the size of the case that some are damaged removing the primers because the shell holder hole is so large that only the edges of the case sit on it. The cases are plastic coated and they are hard to deal with because of that, you can burn it off, or you may be able to find some chemical that will eat it off, but I never did. Good luck, I gave up. Larry
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
I will tell you the case is hard to work with, the primer is so close to the size of the case that some are damaged removing the primers because the shell holder hole is so large that only the edges of the case sit on it. The cases are plastic coated and they are hard to deal with because of that, you can burn it off, or you may be able to find some chemical that will eat it off, but I never did. Good luck, I gave up. Larry
I appreciate the warning. I know foxhunter has had good success using 4.6x30 brass and was rated for 7kpsi more pressure if I recall correctly, but i'm still up for the fight for the 5.7 brass. as far as the coating I thought it came off quite easily if tumbled?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 AM

Lots of questions there. I think it would be awesome for the smaller game. Marginal for coyotes. Thats just my opinion though. What are you going to shoot more of small game or coyotes? Should be an great round for foxes too. I use 9 twists for all my .17's. Do you plan on shooting the 25vmax or any of the 30's? If not you can get away with a 10 twist. I had a 17ccm which is similar. They both sip on powder and have really good performance compared to the size of the case. Don't worry about the barrel life of the 17vr. Its going to be many thousands of rounds. The predator and tac are definitely going to wear barrels much faster!

Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
hello guys, been lurking here for a year or so and been researching for a future build.

one that has really caught my interest is the .17 Velociraptor. I have 300+ 5.7 cases, 18lbs of 1680 and lots o primers so the only real cost would be bullets and the hard parts. I owned a 17 hmr years back and enjoyed it and a muscled up version sounds great.

I plan on using the rifle for ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and coyote's as well as a plinker from time to time. I have a savage model 10 action that i'm using for a switch barrel rifle and I see PT&G makes a bolt face for the 5.7 so that sets me in the right direction. not to concerned about it being a repeater single feed is fine if I cant figure out a mag solution. thinking a 1:9 barrel

20gr v-max will be the bullet of choice unless they release the 17gr. what kind of barrel life are we talking?

the 17 predator sounds mean but I'm assuming it's a barrel burner? what kind of life with 30 golds? or the 17 tactical for that matter

now my other question is I'm getting a .223ai barrel soon (1:8 twist and throated for 75gr a-max at 2.45+) as a 1000yd economy shooter. with a long throated rifle and fast twist I don't think it will handle 40gr v-maxes. what do you guys feel? I could possibly be happy if the .223ai would work with both loads. how fast are you guys pushing .223 ai's with 40gr bullets?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 AM

As to the 40 grain V-max having any trouble in your 223 AI: Don't think so....In fact, they ought to do phenomenally well!!!
Bili
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 AM

Thumbs up Depends

If its for the sake of building, hell yeah, why not. What's the worst that will happen? You will wind up with a barrel laying around, and some reloading dies that you no longer need. Both of which I imagine would sell with realitive ease. And you will keep the experience, memories and have fun along the way.

If not for the sake of building, why not a 17 hornet?

17vr looks like a cool little cartridge. But the availability of commercial 17 hornet turned me on to that. And CZ is releasing the 527 this month in 17HH.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,"
-- Wayne LaPierre, NRA's executive vice president.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

the 4,4x30 brass is easier to work with but the 5.7 works with a good fitting die, my first die was small and caused all kinds of problems,

as to the oversize primer hole in the shell holder hornady will make you a shell holder wih a correct hole, solves the problem.

the 17 vr is probably one of the best fur friendly fox round around. is is more powerful than the ccm but less destructive than the bigger 17's.

Shot a lot of fox with the 17 ccm before getting thet 17 vr built, never tore one up and never had a fox run off after being shot.

while cruzing the desert around las cruces nm we shot tons of jack rabbits with the 17 vr from 10 to 300 yards using 25 grain hammets. then came the 20gr v-max, which took some getting used to. at 3600+ fps the 20 v-maxes shot a lot flatter than the 25's, i found my self over shooting jacks at 200-250 yards.

all in all it's a fun cartridge and cheap to shoot, as to coyotes i have shot several with a 17 mach 2 (not my first choice) can you kill coyotes with it, of course, would it be my choice for calling coyotes, no, not if i didn't want to do a lot of tracking. old mister coyote can take a lot of killing and i have had several run off shot with my 223 ai using 40 gr blitzkings.

barrel life on the 17vr is excellent and would be a good choice for shooting prairie dogs, no worries about toastint the barrel like the bigger 17's

then again my opinion might be biased.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKnight View Post
If its for the sake of building, hell yeah, why not. What's the worst that will happen? You will wind up with a barrel laying around, and some reloading dies that you no longer need. Both of which I imagine would sell with realitive ease. And you will keep the experience, memories and have fun along the way.

If not for the sake of building, why not a 17 hornet?

17vr looks like a cool little cartridge. But the availability of commercial 17 hornet turned me on to that. And CZ is releasing the 527 this month in 17HH.
I looked at the 17HH and while it would be easier and a little cheaper it doesn't seem to be as efficient. takes 2gr more powder to get 200ft/sec slower velocity. (from the data i've seen) brass is more abundant for the 5.7(I find range pickups every once and awhile) and the v-raptor just looks cooler.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 AM

foxhunter do you own a reamer or did you send it out to have it chambered? also are you running modified dies still or did you go custom? what is your favorite bullet weight for a all around load?

thanks again guys
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 AM

As to the worry on the 40 V-max, here's link to the 223 WSSM shooting the 40 Grain V-max a 4600 fps!
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.223-wssm.html
Bill

p.s. Do the v-raptor and report back!!!!!