Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-09-2015, 03:59 PM

john300exc, Have you had a chance to try this out yet? I am thinking I may give a Boyds stock a try for this new build I have pending.
But if the A-bolt short action stock does fit then it opens up a few other stock makers, such as GRS rifle stocks out of Norway.

Last edited by gopher_getter; 04-09-2015 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2015, 02:31 AM

No, that idea is still on the back burner. I still may eventually try it but I have another project active right now.
Both Browning stocks I compared are from a "micro", I wish I could find a non-micro short action stock for comparison.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:43 PM

Default Boyds Claro XX walnut stock for A-bolt Micro Hunter

I ordered a Boyds A-bolt Micro Hunter Prairie Hunter model Claro XX walnut stock to go on my new 17 Hornady Hornet A-bolt conversion build. Once the new stock arrives I will take a few photos to share with the Saubier crowd and put some detail in the special projects area. The stock cost a mint, so I am crossing my fingers that it is as nice as I hope.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:34 AM

I ordered a Bell and Carlson stock for a short action Browning A bolt. The action fit in the stock but the original action screws were too short. I called Stocky Stocks and they sent longer action screws. One of the screws worked, the other screw had an unusual thread pitch and would not work. I could not find the correct pitch screw locally. Next came a call to Browning Parts for longer action screws. These screws were in stock and I also decided to order another magazine. The magazine was back ordered or out of production so the order sat on someone's desk for a month. I was also out of town for a while so I was disappointed when the screws were not delivered. I called Browning again and thought I told them to ship the screws, the order was again delayed waiting on a magazine. After a couple of weeks without the screws I called again and finially got the screws in the mail. They were long enough to grab the action and it snugged up fine. However when I looked at the magazine through the bolt port, I noticed it was a long way from the bolt. The trigger was about 2/3 of the way into the trigger guard. I loaded the magazine and confirmed the bolt could not strip the round from the magazine. I thought about ordering another floorplate or trying to come up with another spacer, but decided to cut my losses.
I explained the situation to Stocky Stocks and even though I was way beyond their return date; they agreed to take the stock back. I actually worked out a swap for a different rifle stock which should fit without any problem.

The bottom line is that Stocky Stocks and Browning were right when they originally told me the short action stock would not work. I have ordered multiple stocks from Stockys and have always been happy dealing with them. I guess I should listen to the experts a little closer, but that is not much fun!
Old 07-03-2015, 05:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

John:
I like a challenge too, but, sometimes THEY win regardless how hard I try.
Good luck on the next try.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"