Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM

Default 20-223 ai 40

I did my 20-223 AI 40 to stabilize the brass, this is my main p Dog gun, when you load hundreds and trim less that's cool. You get almost a 204 but as someone mentioned earlier 204 brass stretches and those cracked necks.
I shoot them single shot, so I can't speak to feeding but PM me I'll send you 5 or 6 to load dummy's and see if you like how they feed. sgtg out
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Supporting Member

I'll just post for everyone. From what I'm seeing online, MrMajestic seems to have his running very well. I'm using some of his experience to get started. Maybe he will chime in. I have two rifles up in 20-223AI now, one is a Farley/HBR rig with a Mullerworks barrel, and the other is a Dakota Predator/Varminter with an X-Caliber barrel that I just shot for the 1st time yesterday. I am using MrM's FF load of 27.0 grs H4895 & 39BK which would be a great PD load giving 3800 - 3900 fps depending on your barrel, with moderate pressure. Will go up from there with the formed brass. There may be other good powders to try, though the H4895 looks very good at this point. I'm thinking that I'll try CFE, 2000MR, maybe some other stick powders too, in the long run. Probably use either Fed205 or CCI450 primers. I'm using IMI brass with water capacity around 32.4 grs IIRC in the formed brass. MrMajestic used QL to find his load info by using 20 Practical or Tactical tables & setting water capacity to match his formed brass. Learn something new about how to use that program every day. From what I am reading/hearing, this chambering seems to have a little "magic" to it. Opinions are that the 40 degree shoulder creates some increased efficiency, or at least better brass characteristics similar to what is being said about the 20SCC. Guess time will tell. Anybody else with feedback about this round, please chime in. Later, Joe
Old 06-29-2015, 04:02 PM

Default Not to hijack but...

How is the X-caliber barrel treating you?
Thanks,

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 06-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Supporting Member

Broke in the 1st two yesterday, only there was no breakin - they were both copper-free from the 1st shot, and they shoot well, too. They feel as smooth as any barrel I've had when running a patch through & clean up quickly. Yesterday, it was three patches of C4 plus one dry patch & that was it.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 PM

Thanks Joe. Good to hear as I have two waiting for inspiration to strike!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Supporting Member

Glad you got them running SJ! I'm back to running the 55 gr. Berger with RL17 in my 28" 8.5tw. They range better but begin to lack expansion past 500 yards started at 3612 fps. They were running 3640 but needed to extend .025" to get to the lands after 2-300 rounds and that slowed them down a bit. Still very accurate with itty bitty groups at 200 yards. Could increase powder to get it back but obviously it's still in the node.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Supporting Member

Default Followup question

Great responses and commentary folks!

Emailed PTG for a quote to order the reamer and got an automated response stating their email account is very busy and would get back to me within five business days. Don't know if this casts a perspective of future delivery response woes. I've been very satisfied with PTG in the past, but has anyone dealt with JGS?

I know, I should have just picked up the phone.

My question at hand is; will I also need to order a dedicated 20-223 AI go-gage to insure proper headspacing? I only have a standard 223 go-gage that was used to head space my 223 AI barrel.

Tks, Tooter
Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Supporting Member

Talk to Dave Kiff about the Go-Gage, it may be the same from what I am seeing. Basically, when you chamber an AI, you use the go-gage & only want the bolt to close part way on it so there is a little crush on your pre-fireformed brass. This insures that the case is tight in the chamber when fired in order to give good forming without case stretch. I agree that the phone would be a better way to handle this. Good luck with it, Joe
Old 07-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

I think SmokinJoe nailed it, something magical about the 20-223 AI and I think he's right the 40 degree shoulder and taper. I argued the value of 20-223 AI over the 204, thought the 204 was it. I have 3 - 204's and love them. My Cooper 204 WAS my go to gun but I'm now shooting a 20-223 AI that shoots 39 gr. BK's @ 4050 fps. I have been skeptical of the speed and worried about pressure. I live in AZ took to the range the other day, 105 degrees and still experienced no pressure issues. Getting consistent 4,050 fps shot with two chronographs and verified out to 400 yards is really impressive in my mind. I agree, seems like magic, I've seen the same thing with my little 20 SCC, it's constantly 200-250 fps faster than my 20 VT with all things equal, brass, barrel length and twist and bullets. Got to love the 40 degree shoulder.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Supporting Member

X-Caliber barrels, just shot my second X Caliber barrel yesterday that Bob Green chambered and installed for me. A little 6 XC and only shot 20 rounds cleaning and what not breaking in. The last 4 holes were .196 @ 100 yards with 115 VLD's. I think it will be a shooter. I think they are a great barrel company, my other barrels on a 20 SCC a 3 groove and it shoots lights out also.