Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Supporting Member

Some thing to compare. Sounds like no extra charge for the "cheek piece"

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=469376763
Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyYates View Post
Red pad, 99%; guy wants 1200 bucks. Are these rifles that accurate? Would be able to chamber many types/weights of bullets (as opposed to say, the Marlin 1894 I looked at recently), and have located 2 boxes of factory ammo to start with. Or should I just buy a new CZ .22 Hornet at half the price? Appreciate any comments...
That seems to be about the going rate if it is in mint condition. I want a 1B .218 Bee, but at the prices they are going for, I might as well just get a more common B rebarreld as a Bee, ending up with a barrel that is probably better.

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM

Default 218 Bee Ruger

Interesting cartridge.
I have owned four #1s, 2 22PPC, a 223, and a 22H. Except for the hornet, all were heavy barrel.
I could not get them accurate enough to suit my liking. Sold all and swore off them.
My experience is on a good day 1.5" groups, and there are not many good days. Secondly, holding zero is an issue.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Supporting Member

i have alike new #1 204R I have yet to shoot for lots less.

ML
Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM

My #1B Ruger shot exceptionally well with 35gr. vmax to 150yards only- they became inaccurate past that range.
40gr. Vmax and 40gr. Nosler BT's held their accuracy right to 400yards. They were terrific.

I experimented with Barnes X bullets in 50 and 53gr. weights and was able to keep them into .750" normally. They were running in the .222 range of speeds for similar weight bullets. I will say right now, I could not beat 3,000fps in that rifle with AA1680 & 50gr. bullets, but LG did it easily + 300fps - I do not know why - it did it and without hurting the brass one iota. They had to be hot, but the #1 seemingly, did not care.

The same loads with 50gr. Hornady SP's shot an inch only so I didn't use them.

I also ran 55gr. Vmax and they also shot just under an inch. I think the 14" twist was on the verge of inaccuracy with those & I did not shot them past 100meters.

I got speeds with all bullet weights from that 26" Ruger .218Bee that I can not duplicate with my Sako .222- go figure. That .218Bee, with .218Bee brass and it's .408" rim diameter, is some strong brass.
My rifle had an exceptionally long chamber neck. I NEVER had to trim a case and never lost one to a separation nor primer pocket expansion. I only ever sized 1/2 the neck. My Ruger had a tight chamber, dimensionally, except for the neck length.

- On the other hand, Ken Waters had separations every 3 to 4 reloadings - in all 3 of .218Bee's with loads in the factory realm and under - he noted in Pet Loads he could not stop his brass from stretching and needing to be trimmed often, then they separate - wonder why? Sounded like headspace along with sloppy chambers to me.

Ruger .218Bee's rule the .218 Bee's roost. Mine, Bob's and Gary's - I think there was one more here as well. A letter in Tod Kindler's varmint magazine made me buy the Ruger. I was able to work up to and just barely duplicate those loads listed, but backed off to 3,650fps with those 40's. Yeah - scary.

Last edited by Daryl; 02-26-2015 at 07:19 PM.