Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 PM

Default 20BR brass prep for no turn chamber

What prep other than sizing is needed for a 20 BR no turn chamber? Is it better to go no-turn on the 20BR or tight neck?
Old 02-25-2015, 02:53 PM

heath, Here's another for what it's worth. I run Lapua 6mm BR Norma brass through a 22 BR die without the guts, trim them back a little, then run them through a Redding 20 BR type "S" FL die, and trim to final length. That method is probably more than necessary, but seems to work well for me. Some on the forum do less, some more in prepping 20 BR brass. As for as to neck turn or not, I think it depends entirely on personal preference. I'm in the school of "no turn necks" whenever possible. My 20 BR has .237" neck chamber and requires no neck turning. Others have .235" neck chambers (may require minimum neck turning) all the way down to below a .230" neck chamber. Again it depends on what you believe is best for your set-up. You can go back in the archives if you like and look at comments requested by "Big Al" about this neck turning subject in the last few months. There were a number of comments. As far as "practical" accuracy, mine shoots really well out to 500 yards and beyond. I just finished a no turn neck (heaven forbid) 6mm PPC, and it is shooting bugholes at 100 yards out the get go. Good luck in your build. The 20 BR is a excellent long range varminter. 410gauge
Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 PM

I have wanted a no turn 6ppc but always end back up with .262 because of past barrels. I am wanting to play with .20 cal now. I have a .204 but wanted to try someting on the BR or maybe PPC case. Who makes heavy bullets for the .20 caliber other than Berger?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:31 PM

heath, I have had great luck with Blaine Leisy's (Blackhole Bullets) .20 cal 55 gr Diamond Tip with Rebated Boattail. That bullet has shot just as well in my 20 BR as the Berger 55 gr. out to 500 yards. He has a website. He is a really nice guy to deal with. 410gauge