Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 PM

Default Price Check: .218 Bee Ruger No. 1

Red pad, 99%; guy wants 1200 bucks. Are these rifles that accurate? Would be able to chamber many types/weights of bullets (as opposed to say, the Marlin 1894 I looked at recently), and have located 2 boxes of factory ammo to start with. Or should I just buy a new CZ .22 Hornet at half the price? Appreciate any comments...
Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 PM

Just went through this. I have had a couple now and always sold them for around that $1200 range. Personally I would grab a CZ if you want a no fuss no muss type of gun.

They're too much effort for me to make shoot consistently. Gorgeous to look at and appreciate their beauty but I think I would just stay with a bolt gun from now on.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Supporting Member

I had one, back when I had a full head of hair! It was a fun little rifle, but was very finicky with the loads it liked. I was collecting .218 Bees back then, so I didn't mind. However, I did end up eventually selling it to fund another rifle that I bought from a friend (Kimber of Oregon). I think the asking price is fair, if it in good shape and has decent wood (which the old ones normally do).

I've since whittled my collection down to a 1894CL, a Model 43 and the Kimber mentioned above. The 1894CL Bee is going up for sale next week, just because I don't shoot it much. Although I have a ton of Bee brass, my Hornets get shot a lot more now, just because of the availability of brass.

In other words, the Hornet may be your best bet, unless you've been stung by the Bee and that itch needs to be scratched!

Eric
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Supporting Member

Default depends

It will probably never be worth less than that unless you booger it up. The rifle and the cartridge are never going to get you into the Super Shoot but on the flip side you don't have to worry about every yahoo at the range having one. I have one of the S models and it's just plain neat to pull it out and shoot it. Nice 1" round 5 shot groups, some smaller. If accuracy is your game I would advise against any No1, you'll just work harder than the bolt guys. If you can appreciate it for what it is then it will take an expensive bolt gun to give you the same satisfaction. I've owned several over the years, bought them and sold them, regretting it everytime. Bought the No1-S that I have now and have labeled it untouchable.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 02-24-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
bought them and sold them, regretting it everytime.
I felt this way as well.

Eric
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Supporting Member

Being chambered in 218 Bee, it's probably worth the money today when you consider that the Ruger No 1 is now a distributor only special production rifle from Ruger.

I bought a No 1B in 218 Bee about 10 years ago unfired NIB for $700 that came with 4 boxes of ammo (200 rounds), but that was then. It shoots very well, but like others have stated, they are iffy in the accuracy department. Today $1200 is probably very fair, especially if it has nice wood.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-25-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling...............
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 PM

1200 for any no.1 is kinda hard to fathom for me. Lots of funny money in that number.

Any No.1B can be made into a No.1S with Ruger parts, the hardest part to procure is the AH forend, but a friend bought one off GunBroker last week for 35 dollars. The No.1S and No.1B use the same barrel type within caliber.....perhaps other than 45-70. 218's, hornets etc in S or B models have the same factory barrel taper.........basically a Shilen #4 taper. Hardest piece to get again is the AH forend, as Ruger does not allow that out of the repair facility proper without your rifle.

Will it shoot with a typical bolt gun?............no. Two piece stock and long lock time is there. Does it have looks and appeal..................yes, it does.

Can it be converted into most any caliber easily.........yes, it can.

Wood will always enter into most No.1 decisions, just like price.

Am I into seller's hype?............no.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

I havent been keeping up with prices! Looks like I owe someone plus interest!

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21667

The pictures here don't even come close to its real beauty...

I have a 1S 218 Bee and it was a real vertical stringer. Used a lilgun load that Daryl shared here (using a LFCD) and got 1/2" groups with the 40 vmax. Later installed a trigger and I really liked that. Out PDn my finger would get sore from pulling that heavy thing! My biggest issue in the beginning was getting a scope with enough eye relief.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 AM

As GLWenzl says, even with extended scope mounts you still need a lone eye relief scope, or an extra long neck!
Member captqc recently struggled to sell a #1 V in 22/250 with Kepplinger trigger and Hicks Accurizer in the fore end.
Last price he reduced it to $825. Do a search in Classifieds for this.
Ken.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM

My #1B in .218 Bee got traded off to a friend - same friend who has my #1A in 7x57. The .218 is his favourite rife to take to the range for plinking. I put almost 8,000rounds through it when I had it. As with Gary W's. #1, mine shot very well indeed, but - I did some 'work' to it to make it do that - spl. bedding, 1/4 rib shortening where it contacted the receiver and eventually splitting into 2 pieces- THAT was the big stability change for shooting hot. The Nosler BT's in 40gr. were the most accurate. I will not tell the group sizes - I no longer have the targets. Mine shot reasonably well with AA1680, but came alive with Lil'Gun. As with m Hornets, I used Lee's Factory Crimp die to reduce vel. spreads and increase accuracy. I used Hornady's FL dies, but set to only size 1/2 the neck. My original 400rounds of brass lasted the over 7,500rounds I put through it and the new owner is still using them.

Last edited by Daryl; 02-26-2015 at 06:47 PM.