Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I have seven of the Ruger 77/22s.
"Oooop's" Heh-Heh-Heh .
Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
Go CZ.........
Hmmm ... CZ 455 build quality not quite up to the Ruger IMO, and it's heavier than even the wood stocked 77/22. And isn't Ruger all american made?
Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 AM

I have a Remington 597 and really like it in 22mag. I have never hunted anything with it but it's a really fun plinker.

Eric
Old 02-26-2015, 04:10 AM

I always laugh when someone brings the HMR into a 22 mag discussion. They're not in the same league. They both have their place, but killing raccoons, badgers, and the occasional close range bobcat or coyote, the 22 mag shines. The 17hmr is better left for prairie dogs, rabbits, rats, and squirrels.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I've never owned a .22 Mag. I was given a bunch of ammo and now have a chance to buy one. It is a Ruger m77/22 Magnum all weather.

Questions are how does yours shoot? And what do you use it for?

Steve
The 22mag is a great cartridge and it's not inherently inaccurate. If you've found a 77/22 at a decent price, get it. You don't see them for sale very often. I've had a few and have known several other people with them. They've all shot well and a couple just unbelievably accurate. Like any rimfire you gotta find the ammunition it likes best. The silver box Win. 40jhp, shoots best for me.

Mine are used on small varmints up to rockchuck size. Every time shooting there's always a 22mag in the truck.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I've never owned a .22 Mag. I was given a bunch of ammo and now have a chance to buy one. It is a Ruger m77/22 Magnum all weather.

Steve
Its nothing to do with you its its the guns choice if it likes the ammo you will get sub1" if it dont you be lucky to get 2.1/2"

Think carefully before you buy
Wally
Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:

Steve

This Ruger is used. It has been bedded and a trigger job done. I guess the previous owner could not get it to shoot either lol.

Thanks for the replies.
Steve I think there are guys out there that can certainly make one shoot as well as the .22 Magnum ammo is up to and without breaking the bank to bad either. I've had em do a 77-22LR and still have a 10-22LR and both shot lights out.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/index.htm

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/longgun.htm

Point being if ya do get it and you aren't satisfied with the accuracy I think ya have some reasonable priced options. I'm sure there are others out there as well, I just had great luck with these guys (my 10-22 with their fluted barrel is an absolute "ripper" ). A few years back I bought a case of Federal's el-gypo 525round value packs with the 36 grain HP's, the cheaper still replacement for the already cheap American Eagle 38grain HP load (actually the "American Eagle" shoots real well)! Lotta grand-kid's .22's to feed. At any rate I wanted to see how well this stuff could shoot so I grabbed that Clark'd up 10-22 and stopped by the range, ripped off three for effect at 50 yards just to see the group.

That group is all about how Clark does a rifle and sure nothing to do with the ammo cause half the guys I knw that shoot it whine about how nasty it is.

As to the inherent inaccuracy of the .22 magnums. I have a buddy who's daughter is a National Rim-Fire Silhouette shooter and he explained that once and it made a lotta sense.
Ever since the .22 LR has been around there has been competitions with it and the manufacturers have kept trying to produce more and more accurate ammo for it, priced a box of Eley 10X lately?? YIKES!! Not so the .22 Magnum. A while back I believe Fat Cat said that the .22 Mag is a hunting gun and he's right, gilt edged accuracy hasn't been it's mission . That said the ammo is still getting better all the time and the .22 Mag is sure no slouch anymore if ya find something it likes. My last range trip that CZ shot this 5 shot 100 yarder an it was a .697 with a self induced low yanker that near doubled the group size.

I love the .22 Mag as does Fat Cat and some others and if you got hold a some ammo and got a decent price on a nice Ruger maybe ya ought give it a shot, ya dang sure can't take it all with ya.
Good luck, we're all counting on ya! LOL

Hav'n one a them can't sleep nights so I figured I'd try to stimulate the economy.

Last edited by montdoug; 02-26-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

At first I thought WHAT? Saubier members DONT want me to spend money?

Am I on the right sight? Can this be true? Am I dreaming?

This sight is my go to for all firearm related questions. I always get tried and true answers to my questions. Not hearsay but first hand knowledge.

I usually add up the positive and negative and make my decision accordingly but...........

I feel to be a true small caliber nut and to be able to hang with you fellas I MUST own a .22mag. Even if it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 20 ft

Living in the great state of NJ my funds are limited. This state will suck every penny out of you without a hint of regret. I recently had to sell the farm. My taxes hit a whomping 11K a year. Hey NJ I'm a retired GC on a fixed income! Me and my bride are now looking for a place in Pa. Maybe once we get settled in I will be able to afford my life long dream.

A Cooper in 17 Fireball But until then the Rugers will have to do.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Default 22 mag

I HAD two Ruger 77 22 mags. Both were "dogs" accuracy wise. And I spent a lot on trigger jobs, bedding, re chamber, etc.
Save your money and do it right the first time, and get a gun that is accurate. I wish I had done that.
I now have an Anschutz, yes expensive, but I would have been money ahead to buy it first instead of the Rugers.
Some guys have good luck with CZ, I have not tried them.