Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Default OT- since many of us are getting a little long in the Tooth.

Here's an exercise for seniors to put on some muscle.

Just came across this exercise suggested for seniors, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my younger friends. The article suggested doing it three days a week.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax.

Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks.

Then 50-lb. potato sacks, and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks; but be careful.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Supporting Member

How 'bout holding a Garand out in front, overhead and to the side. Make it fun.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM

Default OT- Long in tooth

Ya right ??? Funny Bill K
Old 02-25-2015, 07:35 PM

So, what do these different size sacks weigh? When it is time to add the potatoes, is it okay to substitute the dehydrated ones?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
So, what do these different size sacks weigh? When it is time to add the potatoes, is it okay to substitute the dehydrated ones?
sounds good to me
Old 02-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Supporting Member

If I make it through the first week can the potato be a "Baby Red" ??
Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 PM

Surgical tubing bands will work wonders for what you want to do and are dirt cheap.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Default Careful!

Loved the joke, BUT!

I just had rotor cuff surgery. Been sleeping on a recliner for two weeks. Had the stiches taken out Monday, and will be in a sling for 6 weeks, probably in PT for 3 to 6 months after that.

How did all of the happen? 100 to 200 pushups/night during my last highschool, college and army two years, and for 30 years of working for my own company doing some pretty heavy stuff. I probably just wore the tendon connection to the bone in my both arms out.

Upshot of this is that I should have looked at a program for strengthening the ancillary muscles during the past 5+ years. None of them are hard, almost with the same effort as Daryl's program.

You would do yourself a favor by visiting the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons and look at this program for exercise:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/PDFs/Rehab_Shoulder_5.pdf

I arranged the surgery so it wouldn't interfere with my goose hunting season.

Alex
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 PM

Many years ago , when I was a kid , my Grandfather had an old Case Industrial Tractor in the Barn . The Front Tires went flat , and in those days the Tire guys would come out , take off the wheels and tires and take them to the Shop .... patch them up and bring them back . The tire guy came in the Barn and started to pull off the front wheels and tires . I told him to watch out as the wheels were darn heavy as they had cast-iron weights on them which helped a lot because that Case liked to do wheelies on any steep incline . The tire guy was not a big guy and said : " watch this kid " ! He picked up both wheels and tires and held them out to each side . I did not time him , but I was impressed . When he brought back the repaired tires and wheels , I weighed them and as I recall , they weighed 67 pounds apiece ! I tried for many years to duplicate that , but never did .
Old 02-25-2015, 10:58 PM

Alex I like your priorities. I could miss many things but duck and goose season isn't one of them. I don't think my black lab would allow it either. If your right shoulder is the problem my hunting partner had cancer last year in his throat. Had a port in his shoulder and was able to use a 20 guage with hevi 4s. Worked great on called in geese. Just a thought. May be easier on the shoulder till your 100%
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10