Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Supporting Member

I'll add to Alex's story by saying this: I've had a total of 9 surgeries including rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. One was arthroscopic and wasn't too bad in terms of rehab. The other was full blown cut it open and fix it surgery and that one was the worst of all the rehabs. The rehab tech was extremely cute and petite at a time in my life when I truly appreciated how she looked, but she could create pain where I thought it wasn't possible. More than once she brought tears to my eyes...

Bottom line is I've exercised my entire life and stayed in good physical condition, but I made some decisions in my life that I've paid for since. I guess the moral of the story is getting old isn't for sissies..........and encourage your grand kids to play golf instead of football....

At this time in my life, keeping the associated muscles around a few different joints in my body in good condition keeps me moving around well. But it's a never ending process.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-26-2015, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Default Ack, what...

....20 gage gun did your buddy shoot?

BCB, the doc wanted to do a full replacement on my right shoulder. I'm gonna be 79 in a month and told the doc I didn't think so. . Maybe next year just after duck and goose closes. We'll see how the exercises work.

Alex
Old 02-26-2015, 02:57 AM
Supporting Member

And to add to this, this shows up,

AAADD
KNOW THE SYMPTOMS.....PLEASE READ!
Somehow I feel better, even though I have it, Thank goodness there's a name for this for this disorder. Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. This is how it manifests:

I decide to feed the horses and take out the left overs to the compost pile. As I start towards the garage,
I notice the mail on the center isle that I had brought in earlier.
I decide to go thru the mail, then feed the horses and take stuff out to the compost pile. I lay my glasses on the center isle,
and put the junk mail in the garbage can under the center isle and notice that the can is full.
So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first.
But when walking by the car, I decide the car needs washing, I’ll wash it first, then take out the garbage,
then feed the horses and take the stuff to the compost pile.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the center isle and take out the garbage first. But then I think, I might as well pay the bills first,
I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
so I go the study, where I find the lastest magazine I'd been reading.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the water bottle aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.
The water bottle is getting warm, so I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the water bottle, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye--they need water.
I put the water bottle on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.
I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers. I set the glasses back down on the counter,
fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.

Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote,
but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on to the floor.
So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.
Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
the horses aren’t fed, the stuff for the compost pile isn’t taken out,
the bills aren’t payed, car isn't washed, the garbage hasn’t taken out,
there is a warm water bottle sitting on the counter, the flowers don't have enough water,
there is still only 1 check in my check book, and I can't find the remote.

I can't find my glasses..........

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,

I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day, and I'm really tired.
I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll read my magazine....

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Here's an exercise for seniors to put on some muscle.

Just came across this exercise suggested for seniors, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on to some of my younger friends. The article suggested doing it three days a week.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax.

Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks.

Then 50-lb. potato sacks, and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the sacks; but be careful.
What teeth
Wally
Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 AM

He used a Remington 11-87 in 20 gauge. The hevi shot is expensive but hammers geese out to 30 yds. He also bought a Remington versamax in 12 guage. Both the versa max and 11-87 hardly kick being semi auto. It saved his season as he had to be careful with the port on the neck/shoulder and the obvious pain and discomfort from the radiation. I shot the versamax with skeet loads and that thing doesn't kick at all. I mean a slight bump to your shoulder and that's it. I was amazed at the lack of recoil. Now a full 3 in Goose load is different but with target loads it is the lightest recoiling gun I've ever shot.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Supporting Member

This is a good time, If you haven't caught on already, make them put that port

on the off side. Your Dr. may have to order it that way, but you can probably talk to him, where the surgeon may just blow you off.

You know the routine, put it where I want it or don't do it. That should work.
I never give it a thought till the first time I went to shoot after it was in.

I started picking up a baby pig every day until she got up close to 200lb

by this time the only way I could lift her was, put her front legs over my

shoulders and do it kind of like a big hug.

I started to notice a smile and a look in her eye. I decided I better quit while I'm ahead. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Good one Daryl

My wife and I had a good laugh this AM reading your exercise program. I hope you post more of this quality.

BTW I will be 76 in 3 months and can't find any potato sacks.

Chuck
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM

That was good, Don. I'm quickly approaching AAADD, myself. I've seen the symptoms.

Wecome, Chuck.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Default OT- Since many of us are getting long in tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
My wife and I had a good laugh this AM reading your exercise program. I hope you post more of this quality.

BTW I will be 76 in 3 months and can't find any potato sacks.

Chuck
Boy, now I do go back. For one I have not seen a potato sack made of burlap and not plastic for a few years. And I remember my Mom and other female family members making dress's out of the Pillsbury flour sacks, as cloth was scare during and for a while after WWII.. How about some of you younger ones Bill K
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

Man, you guys are OLD...LOL

No wonder many of you have more small caliber toys than I do, but I am trying to catch up..

This inspired me to get back on the treadmill last night. Retirement ended my 130 mile a day commute ( 34 years, 3 months), ended most of my headaches, and contrary to popular rumors, retirement is MORE expensive... when you hang out with bad influencing friends. But, my son and 2 grandsons, daughter and SIL will benefit from your bad influence.

Thanks...I think, LOL

56 and a month, and a day, here.

Allen